Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default New hunting vehicle

Ok so here is my situation, I am looking for a new (used) vehicle right now for my everyday car and also something to transport my hunting gear during deer season. I currently drive a ford Taurus so I can't really take that out with me. I would like to get a car with 4x4 and relatively good gas mileage, doesn't have to be a hybrid good but something around 20 mpg highway. I have narrowed it down to a 2011 ford f150 and a 2011 jeep grand Cherokee. What do you guys think and is there anything else to consider? My budget is at most $25,000

Default Re: New hunting vehicle

As far as I'm concerned, A pick up truck will by far, be better. You can haul "STUFF", you can put a cap on it, buy a slide in camper, pull boats, trailers, and rental equipment...you can sleep in the back, haul wood, deer, or anything....

The pick up truck, in my opinion, is the most versatile vehicle available.

Not knowing you or what your opinion is on what I've said...I always advise someone to get a 3/4 ton instead of a 1/2 truck. If you like Diesel, your five times better off. Just my opinion...

CL

(Lawrence County)

Agree with CL about the truck, disagree with the 3/4 ton. 1/2 ton with the tow package option and don't let some salesman bullshit you into thinking it has a tow package because it has a hitch, they all have hitches. An F150 with a tow package can tow over 12k lbs. The packages are different between manufacturers but usually come standard with a bigger alternator, battery and radiator, prewired for a trailer brake, both flat and round trailer plugs, transmission cooler and maybe an engine cooler. Sometimes they will even have load leveling shocks or a different rearend but the biggest thing is the towing capacity.

Some vehicles the tow package more than doubles the rated capacity, it's not usually that much on trucks but can still be the difference of a couple tons. I have learned my lesson over the years and will NEVER buy another vehicle without a tow package if it is available. Even if you never plan to pull a trailer it's worth it just for the extras you get and it is normally only about a $500 option, I believe it was $600 on our Tundra.

Another thing I'd add if I wanted to use it for hunting is a cap. They can be a pain in the ass if you need to haul a refrigerator but that's what a trailer is for. They also block your vision when backing up but they are priceless on trips. Nothing in the back gets wet or blown out and a queen size mattress fits perfectly between the wheel wells. I've spent plenty of nights in the back of the truck with a sleeping bag and air mattress even down into the 40's and was comfortable.

(Wayne County)

You can get a brand new Chevy standard cab 4x4 v6 for that money.

(Erie County)

Pick up truck.

(Bucks County)

Get the truck. Do you have to haul a family around? If not, an extended cab frontier can be had new for around 25k. If you have a family, extended cab or crew cab full-size is the only real way to go imho. Gas mileage between mid and full-sized is null, they are about the same. If you have gear to haul, a truck is best. If you get a deer, you won't want it in the cab of an suv.

(Westmoreland County)

I had a tuck for years, in all those years I used it as a truck less than a dozen times. Last year I sold it and bought an SUV. Better gas mileage 12 mpg vs 17 mpg. Smaller, my wife feels more comfortable driving it etc. I bought a hitch mounted cargo carrier to haul my deer around with. Get a 4X4, decide what you're going to use/need the vehicle for the rest of the year and make your decision from there.

(Bucks County)

You need one of these!! But this one is mine, you go build your own!
    Attached Images Attached Images

(York County)

If I were you I would try to find an old pickup,no emissions and no electronic bullcrap,I know to many people including myself with electrical problems,I'm fixing up a 1967 jeepster commado or look for an old bronco,endless possabilities ,good luck!

(Bucks County)

With a budget of 25k I would look for an LLY or LBZ Duramax ('04.5-'07) Chevy/GMC 2500HD 6.6L Diesel.

Awesome trucks, super reliable, plenty of power and fuel economy. Tow/haul double what any F150 can handle. Very limited emission controls as compared to newer models.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast