Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default When does an AR lower become a pistol?

Ive seen transfer questions and switching from a rifle to a pistol. My locl dealer has no stripped lower. If I order one from offline(aimsurplus or something) do I just tell the shop when I pick it up its for a pistol and register it that way then? Im assuming I cant just take it as if it were for a rifle then make a pistol out of it?
    Also anyone know who has a good deal on stripped lowers now?

(Centre County)

Default Re: When does an AR lower become a pistol?

The stripped lower is an "Other" until you barrel it. Once you put the lower together and put the pistol barrel on it, it then becomes a pistol. When you pick up a stripped lower from your dealer (as long as your're over 21), it gets annotated on the 4473 as an "Other" because it is neither a pistol or a rifle (that's why a under 21 person can't get one from a dealer).

Also, do not let a dealer tell you that you have to fill out a PSP form SP4-113. That form is ONLY for handguns, SBR's and SBS's. The PSP at one time tried to make dealers fill it out for stripped lowers and they were properly put in their place by the BATFE. They sent a retraction in an offical newsletter that ALL PA FFL's got. If the dealer tries to make you fill it out, leave and have it shipped it to a dealer that knows the law.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Franklin County)

Agreed
    A stripped lower should be done as an other. What you assemble it as is up to you. If it is done as a rifle, 16" upper+, then simple hand over like any long gun if sold. If done as a pistol at time of sale then should be transfered as such.

(Franklin County)

Check aimsurplus.com and joeboboutfitters.com
    They usually have good prices and shipping times.

(Allegheny County)

Just tell the dealer you want a stripped lower to build your own AR - no need to say anything else.

It becomes a pistol when you aseemble in a pistol "buffer tube" to legally allow you to then add a barreled upper less than 16" at your convenience for your AR pistol.

You should keep it built in this minimum config of "lower PLUS pistol buffer" so that any shorty upper recvrs you buy can also be under the same roof of your house as any normal AR rifles/CARs you might also own.

Do this because a shorty AR upper plus a normal CAR/rifle all under the same roof - without a "lower PLUS pistol buffer" nearby - can be construed as having a ready-to-assemble SBR.

Such would be a legal no-no without NFA papers.

Our great Attorney General - the Stedman Graham clone - allows state attorney generals to disobey any laws they feel are unconstitutional - but doesn't extend the same privileges to us....
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ C-burg View Post
    Agreed
    A stripped lower should be done as an other. What you assemble it as is up to you. If it is done as a rifle, 16" upper+, then simple hand over like any long gun if sold. If done as a pistol at time of sale then should be transfered as such.
    Once I build it into a pistol I dont have to do anything else unless I sell it? Im building this to keep.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Just tell the dealer you want a stripped lower to build your own AR - no need to say anything else.

It becomes a pistol when you aseemble in a pistol "buffer tube" to legally allow you to then add a barreled upper less than 16" at your convenience for your AR pistol.

You should keep it built in this minimum config of "lower PLUS pistol buffer" so that any shorty upper recvrs you buy can also be under the same roof of your house as any normal AR rifles/CARs you might also own.

Do this because a shorty AR upper plus a normal CAR/rifle all under the same roof - without a "lower PLUS pistol buffer" nearby - can be construed as having a ready-to-assemble SBR.

Such would be a legal no-no without NFA papers.

Our great Attorney General - the Stedman Graham clone - allows state attorney generals to disobey any laws they feel are unconstitutional - but doesn't extend the same privileges to us....
    None of the few local shops have any stripped lowers in stock for a decent price.

(Wayne County)

Last edited by Splittiebus66; February 27th, 2014 at 11:50 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Oh my, here we go again.

The lower does NOT need to be stripped.
    I can be fully completed, even with a butt stock, it is NOT a rifle.
    It's simply a firearm
    I have no idea where all the nonsense about transferring it as a pistol came from.

The lower only becomes a rifle if you put a barreled upper receiver of 16" or more on the lower.

If you build a pistol first, you can go to a rifle, then back to a pistol.
    If you build a rifle first, you're stuck

I just had this debated with a guy as I was correcting an error made by the gun writer. Eventually the writer researched it and realized he was wrong and I was correct.

The fellow I was debate with still denied he was wrong and let the butt hurt flow through him.

Seriously, I been there, done that & don't wanna do it again.

AR15 300 BLK Pistol Article
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    The stripped lower is an "Other" until you barrel it. Once you put the lower together and put the pistol barrel on it, it then becomes a pistol. When you pick up a stripped lower from your dealer (as long as your're over 21), it gets annotated on the 4473 as an "Other" because it is neither a pistol or a rifle (that's why a under 21 person can't get one from a dealer).

Also, do not let a dealer tell you that you have to fill out a PSP form SP4-113. That form is ONLY for handguns, SBR's and SBS's. The PSP at one time tried to make dealers fill it out for stripped lowers and they were properly put in their place by the BATFE. They sent a retraction in an offical newsletter that ALL PA FFL's got. If the dealer tries to make you fill it out, leave and have it shipped it to a dealer that knows the law.
    Does NOT need to be stripped.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast