Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NXS

(Lackawanna County)

Default Nightforce NXS

Hey everyone, I just purchased a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50. Really nice scope great quality. After having some buyers remorse, I wondered what the price difference would be betweeen the one I have in my hands and the NXS F1 in FFP. I will just be using the rifle and optic for target work out to a maximum of 800 yds with the possibility of some F class in the future. Does the large price difference constitute the advantages of the FFPvsSFP with my scope? It would take more time to save up the extra money for the up-up-grade. Also mine has the NPR1 reticle and zero stop. What do you guys think, just keep the one I have, or return it and save up for the FFP F1>?

I have it on a Remington 700 sps tactical, .308 20in
    Last edited by TheRealDonJohnson; February 27th, 2014 at 03:45 PM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Nightforce NXS

There's nothing wrong with SFP, just remember to have it set to the correct power before range estimation. I have a SFP optic and I like it for the price point. FFP's are nice because they are quick with range estimation. If you have the funds for a NF, a FFP wouldn't be far out of budget.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ C-burg View Post
    If you have the funds for a NF, a FFP wouldn't be far out of budget.

Well that was a fair justification for the "Zero Stop" feature, in my mind at least. The jump to the F1 is upwards of about 1000 and even though I can swing it in good time, my real question is "is it really worth it?"
    Last edited by TheRealDonJohnson; February 27th, 2014 at 04:11 PM.

(Franklin County)

1k to jump to FFP? Wow, that's significant. Me personally I'd work with what you have. If you're good with remembering to adjust your magnification stick with it. I have a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 TMCQ that is SFP in an ADM Recon mount and for the price point its more than worth it. I was looking at NF optics today and I'll say my hands were a little damp. My dad just got his Leupold Mark 6 1-6 FFP with a Larue SP 1.5 mount (he ordered the LT104 but that is what's printed on the mount) and its NICE but I kind of like my set up for the direction we were going.

(Franklin County)

I just reread your post. If you mean FFP's start at 1k that's the average starting price for a NF in my area. I was looking at some well north of that today. I have 700 invested in my set up and I think that's a great price for what I got.

(Lackawanna County)

What I meant was that there is a large price difference between the ffp nxs f1 and my nxs sfp that I recently got. I picked it up for just under 1400 and optics planet and a few other vendors have the f1 listed for right around 2500. That is a significant amount more and I guess I'm just not sure if it's worth it for my purposes at this time.

I replaced my nxs 5.5-22x56 for an swfa 5-20x50 ffp and never looked back.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Franklin County)

If what you have will fulfill your objectives then I'd stay with it. Its not that the extra 1k for FFP isn't worth it, but is it justified for the tasks it will see. Once you explained the pricing it makes sense, those are on point for what I see.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ C-burg View Post
    If what you have will fulfill your objectives then I'd stay with it. Its not that the extra 1k for FFP isn't worth it, but is it justified for the tasks it will see. Once you explained the pricing it makes sense, those are on point for what I see.
    I guess the good news with high end gear is that it does retain some of its value. So in the future, if I decide to upgrade I will be able to fund my next scope with the previous one. This is not my first long range rig, and I am sure it will not be the last.

(Lackawanna County)

And here it is all mounted and ready to go. I have a 20moa weaver rail on it with a set of burris rings. They were fairly cheap but they should get the job done for now. The NXS is not bad, it feels very natural with the generous eye relief, (and HEAVY), and with the sunshade it is pretty neat. I am looking into a Vortex FFP for my next rig, but for my purposes at the moment this will do. I cant stand the stock and will have find a replacement eventually.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheRealDonJohnson; March 5th, 2014 at 06:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast