Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Hello from Indiana! (The state, not the town)

I am from Indiana, but my wife's family lives in PA. I understand that PA recognizes my Indiana License to Carry a Handgun. What laws should I be aware of specific to PA? Do I have a duty to inform LEO that I am carrying? Can I CC or OC? Etc... Any guidance is appreciated.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Hello from Indiana! (The state, not the town)

Www.handgunlaw.us is definitely the best place to start.

No, you do not have to inform LE in Pennsylvania.

You can carry in a vehicle with any license issued by a government authority. Carry open or concealed with a reciprocal license. You need a PA license to carry firearms or reciprocal license to carry in Philadelphia or during a state of emergency.

Read the sticky of places off limits in the carry forum. This would be schools, court houses, detention facilities. Stay away from school zones (1000 ft) since you do not have a license issued by the state you're in (PA) - of course that's a federal law.

Others will be in shortly to add to my post if I've forgotten anything. Enjoy your visit!

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by nakinate View Post
    I am from Indiana, but my wife's family lives in PA. I understand that PA recognizes my Indiana License to Carry a Handgun. What laws should I be aware of specific to PA? Do I have a duty to inform LEO that I am carrying? Can I CC or OC? Etc... Any guidance is appreciated.
    Pa is quite good about firearms laws once you have a license. There is no duty to inform. Open carry is unregulated except in the city of Philadelphia. In Philly you need a license period.

Unless that witch we have for an AG changed things lately your Indiana license is recognized. Bars are Ok. State parks the last I heard you must still conceal but we are working on that. Of course court buildings and Jails are a no no.

Fed building are off limits. I'm not sure about ACE rec sites they just lost a suit in I think it was Idaho. Fed Parks follow state law now so your good there except for structures where employees work. We have a sticky about where you can and can't carry.

Don't forget without a PA LTCF stay away from schools 1000 ft.
    USNRET '61-'81

Thanks for the info. It sounds like PA law is very similar to Indiana law. Glad to hear it since I have drive through a state that isn't as friendly toward carry.