Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: PICS Denial

(Chester County)

Default PICS Denial

I recently purchased two rifles online and had them shipped to my local FFL. When the FFL ran me for the background check, I was denied. I filled out a challenge form and mailed it in.

Today I received a call regarding the challenge. I was told by the PSP Officer that I was being denied again. I had a recent arrest for Use/Poss Of Drug Paraph, specifically section 35 § 780-113 §§ A32, and it was graded M on the docket sheet. I'm not sure if it was a 1,2 or 3.

On the docket sheet it shows as "withdrawn." The office also told me I am not allowed to own, possess, or purchase any firearms for one year. He also told me I was ineligible under some federal gun act of 1968.

I'm newly signed up here, but have been lurking for a while. My understanding has always been that only a conviction under the Drug/Cosmetic Device Act is what mattered for purchase denials. I know the arrest could be used against me under the character clause should I apply for an LTCF.

I even enclosed a copy of the docket when I mailed in the challenge showing the charge was withdrawn. Here is how the docket appears now.

1 35 § 780-113 §§ A32 M Use/Poss Of Drug Paraph-Withdrawn
    2 75 § 3809 §§ A S Restrictions on Alcoholic Beverages-Withdrawn
    3 75 § 4524 §§ A S Obstructed Window-Move to Traffic
    4 18 § 5503 §§ A4 S Disorder Conduct Hazardous/Physi Off-Move to Non-
    Traffic

I plead guilty to 3 & 4.

I have a couple questions I need help with.

1) Am I supposed to get a letter for my challenge denial that will enumerate the specific reason I was turned down?

2) Do I have any other avenues of appeal?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by Mfhmiller; February 26th, 2014 at 04:22 PM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: PICS Denial

I'm not a lawyer and I won't give you any legal advice. I believe that the PSP has to send you a letter enumerating why you are again being denied.

Once you have that, contact Phil Kline (Gunlawyer001 here on the forum). I think it would be money well spent to talk to him before you do anything else.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I'm not a lawyer and I won't give you any legal advice. I believe that the PSP has to send you a letter enumerating why you are again being denied.

Once you have that, contact Phil Kline (Gunlawyer001 here on the forum). I think it would be money well spent to talk to him before you do anything else.
    Good advice, Phil straightened things out for me, it was money well spent.

(Lawrence County)

Agree with the other guys, PM Phil and request his services then wait for the letter. I've never heard of any law that makes you ineligible for 1 year.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/members/1125-gunlawyer001/

(Berks County)

The PSP is likely contending that you are currently a unlawful user of a controlled substance - 18 USC 922(g)(3). I've successfully fought that claim previously. It is only in the past year that the PSP started denying based on that provision. With proper counsel, you should be able to get it overturned depending on the actual court records and your past history.
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

Agreed with the above. Contacting Phil is the way to go. http://forum.pafoa.org/members/1125-gunlawyer001/
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

(Montgomery County)

The PSP telephones people to discuss appeals?
    I assumed anything like that would be handled only in writing in order to prevent any miscommunication.

(Chester County)

This is what really confused me. Township police officer (arresting officer), told me I would be free and clear to purchase and possess firearms and said nothing about me not being able to purchase or keep firearms in my home. In my time searching through other posts, nowhere did I see anything about being in eligible to buy a firearms even there was no conviction on the drug charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mfhmiller View Post
    This is what really confused me. Township police officer (arresting officer), told me I would be free and clear to purchase and possess firearms and said nothing about me not being able to purchase or keep firearms in my home. In my time searching through other posts, nowhere did I see anything about being in eligible to buy a firearms even there was no conviction on the drug charge.
    There are lots of prohibitors listed in the state and federal laws, and not all of them require criminal convictions. Evidence of recent drug use can bounce you under PICS or NICS, if they have enough evidence. It's one reason to get an expungement of arrest records that didn't result in conviction, if the delay is intolerable.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.