Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .308 semi rifle

(Montgomery County)

Default .308 semi rifle

Okay guys, i'm looking to buy a .308 semi rifle. I'm looking for suggestions. I am kinda leaning to the ptr-91. HK platform, cheap mags, proven design, half decent price. What are your thoughts? It will just be a 200yd and less plinker. I have ar's, ak's, etc. now i'm just looking for a little more punch.

On a side note, i was also looking into a 6.8 ar upper. What are your thoughts on the 6.8 vs a .308. To me, the 6.8 just is not as common as a .308, mags are spendy, etc. But, it is an ar platform.

Thanks

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: .308 semi rifle

Here's something to think about...
    .308 ammo you can buy them almost any where and get component to reload them if you have to...
    Lots of military surplus for .308
    The 6.8 ammo where and from whom are you going to them from and at what price?
    I go with the .308 it works with my Remington 700P and my Springfield SAR-8

(Berks County)

Both of these are Saiga .308's, and I love em both. For the price, they can't be beaten.

(Pike County)

I also have a Saiga .308, great rifle. It goes with my M1A Socom 16, and a Winchester 70, all .308's. The Saiga's are great for the price.

(Berks County)

Lots of military surplus for .308
    Where? surlpus .308 has dried up pretty bad and what is out there is 3 to 4 times what it was going for just a short 2 years ago. Now I reload so ammo cost is moot...other than components.

You wont go wrong with one of the HK designs (prices are decent also), but personally I like the FAL platform.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lehigh County)

I own a ptr 91. I also have an armalite ar10, springfield armory m1a, and a
    ds arms Fal rifle of the four, price aside, would be the last on my list
    Not that the 91 isn't a fine rifle, just down on the list of fine group of weapons.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd suggest you look into M1A's.

I was sold on a FAL until I looked into the M1As more closely.

IMHO any .308 rifle(not carbine) is more for long range use, and the M1A is the best of all accuracy wise. My ak is for close in work SHTF, while my soon to be acquired M1A is for distance. Also there's just something satisfying about being able to hit targets out to 700 meters with practice.

EDIT: btw the socoms are sweet as well if you are looking for a carbine that's good to 300-400 meters.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Mercer County)

Get an FAL... nuff said.
    One should forgive ones enemies, but not before they are hanged. - Heinrich Heine

(Cambria County)

The HK is the most reliable out of the choices for a battle rifle and they're accurate to boot. The only down side to them I see is egros. Other than that they're good to go. Mine is a 1.5 MOA rifle with good ammo and 2-3 MOA with surplus, which is the limit of the ammo anyhow. Plus they'll still extract with a broken or missing extractor or spring.

Every FAL I've toyed with had some problems. I'm staying away from them until I can afford a DSA SA-58 or a real FN FAL.

I have experience with a M1A supermatch. It was very accurate but mags are pretty expensive and USGI parts prices have shot through the roof recently.

CMS

(Allegheny County)

91 is a very solid rifle, very accurate and excellent choice for optics. A bit nose heavy.

But, it damages the brass. First off it requires a special bumper to prevent the cases from being dented when they are ejected, so be sure to get one if you go that route.

Also the gun has a fluted chamber to assist in extraction. The result is that the cases can only be reloaded 1 or two times. They require very careful inspection each time you reload.

Not the best choice if you plan to do alot of reloading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast