Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Light Primer Strikes/Failures to Fire??

Gave me a thought. Many if not most gun manufacturers warn against firing reloads in their products. Such warnings aggravate (and challenge) me on par with "Warning: There are no user-repairable parts contained in this sealed unit"
    or "To be serviced by qualified personnel only" OK..that does it, I gotta try now!

But kidding aside, I always figured they didn't want to be connected to blow-outs and blow-ups. Now I realize, after reading this thread, they don't want to deal with "false alarms" either....i.e. some would send the gun in under warranty when there is nothing wrong with the gun.

Good problem-solving!

(Dauphin County)

I am also thinking...it could potentially have been a mix-up and maybe I loaded these hand loads with large rifle primers, instead of large pistol primers. I will figure this out and certainly be more diligent next time I am reloading.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    I am also thinking...it could potentially have been a mix-up and maybe I loaded these hand loads with large rifle primers, instead of large pistol primers. I will figure this out and certainly be more diligent next time I am reloading.
    Large pistol and large rifle primers are the same diameter but differ in height.
    You should of easily noticed if they were Lg rifle.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

I didn't notice in your previous posts as to what brand pistol is giving you the problem.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

I had the same problem with winchester primers. My rem 700 rifle fires them every time. My 500 S&W 1/15 is a light strike sometimes even two or three strikes. Now I use Federal primers and no problem. CCI always worked too but I can't always find them any more.

(Bucks County)

You should have easily noticed if they were Lg rifle.

Fixed it for you ^

(Dauphin County)

As BANG suggested in the very first reply to my original post. My questions were premature because I had not fully investigated the problem on my own. I shot over 100 rounds of my 45 ACP reloads today with the Winchester Large Pistol Primers both "Precision Cast" LRN and Rainer Hollow Points in my 1911 and not a single light primer strike. All my re-loads fed and fired fine. So now this is my probem. In my Ruger SR1911 my re-loads are 100% reliable no light primer strikes. In my Springfield Armory 4.5" XDM in 45 ACP, with my reloads, I get several light Primer Strikes per magazine, like 30-40% or more?????? BUT in the XDM factory loads fire 100%. So I guess the issue is that like some have suggested Winchester Large Pistol Primers are a little on the "HARD" side and while my 1911 will eat them all day, my SA XDM will hick-up every other round.

SO now what? Get differnt primers and load specific for each hand gun...or find some increase weight striker fire spring for my XDM??? I guess the next step is to send at least another 50 rounds of self-defense factory ammo and other makes of factory ammo down the XDM to see if it is reliable with other factory ammo.

Thanks again for your recommendations and input.

Exclamation Re: Light Primer Strikes/Failures to Fire??

Primers could have been seated too DEEP as well plus is the firing pin channel clean, is the FP broken? things to look at. Did you use WD40 to lube the gun?..it creeps into primers as will most gun oil. Did you accidently use rifle primers in pistol ammo..I have done that and often they do not fire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12