Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Light Primer Strikes/Failures to Fire??

Using Winchester Large Pistol Primers in 45ACP. Have never had an issue in any of my Handguns or Rifles with Failures to Fire/Light primer strikes. I reload almost exclusivley and have not purchased factory ammo for years.

So the last 2 times to the range with the same 100 rounds of Handloaded Ammo both Cast Lead Roundnose and Rainer Copper Jacket Hollow Points, I get numerous light primer strikes and failures to fire in my Striker Fire Handgun. I will be trying factory ammo to make sure it is not the gun next time out and will be taking a 1911 and trying my handloads to see if I get the same problem through a differnt gun..

Let's imagine the pistol is fine. What could be the cause of light primer strikes? If my reloads are the problem what could be the cause?

I am able to re-run the light primer stike ammo through the pistol and they do eventually fire some rounds need to be run through more than twice but all light primer strikes/Failures to fire do eventually fire from this striker fire pistol.

Thanks for any input

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Light Primer Strikes/Failures to Fire??

No way that I could assume the pistol's mechanism is fine. Filing the post before trying the ammo in hammer-fired like a 1911 seems kind of premature. But, playing the assume game, either the primers were a bad lot or were contaminated during handling or are so old or improperly stored that the cups have become hardened. Assuming more...I'm assuming the primers are all properly seated? And, cartridge length head to mouth is correct? Short cases would engage on the mouth rim too deeply, bringing the primer surface farther from the pin.
    Last edited by Bang; February 24th, 2014 at 09:53 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

I would say the firing pin channel needs cleaned on your weapon.

Ammo, the only thing I can think off is that the primers are not seated well enough. Thusly your first strike is actually further seating the primer vs detonating it. I doubt this though, as you are an experienced reloader.

ETA: If your primers are not seating properly, you probably need to clean out the primer pockets.
    Last edited by pennlineman; February 24th, 2014 at 09:55 PM.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for both responses. Much appreciated trouble shooting. I agree the post and questions are "jumping the gun" before trying out the different senerios to determine is it the striker fire weapon or is it somthing with my reloads.

I cleaned the striker channel after the first set of light strikes, figured that was the issue. Did not stop the problem and should have taken the 1911 with as well as some factory ammo the 2nd trip to the range to figure out what the deal is, but I didn't so I will need to wait until I get to the range again. The primers are seated fine. Thought about that as well but they are flush, I clean the primer pockets before seating. I am thinking IF big IF it is not the gun.....it could be some sort of issue with the cartridge not chambering properly. "Short cases would engage on the mouth rim too deeply, bringing the primer surface farther from the pin." I was thinking something along these lines...I use a Lee Factory Crimp die with all of my handloads, is it possible the crimp is too heavy and the case and bullet is causing the "short case" type of probelm you mentioned.

Thanks again for your insights.

(Bucks County)

Yep.Over-crimping would allow the mouth to go past the shoulder it should headspace on. That could account for some firing, some not too.
    But with the experience reloading, why would that issue occur?
    Keep us posted

I had that problem for two reasons. First time I wasn't seating my primers all the way below flush. Second time, I had a reduced recoil spring in my Glock17 and it was actually trying to fire slightly out of battery. Look and see if your firing pin is hitting off center. That is one sign. Also here's a link on how to check if your recoil spring is too light or worn out:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=572

Hope this helps
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    Using Winchester Large Pistol Primers in 45ACP. Have never had an issue in any of my Handguns or Rifles with Failures to Fire/Light primer strikes. I reload almost exclusivley and have not purchased factory ammo for years.

So the last 2 times to the range with the same 100 rounds of Handloaded Ammo both Cast Lead Roundnose and Rainer Copper Jacket Hollow Points, I get numerous light primer strikes and failures to fire in my Striker Fire Handgun. I will be trying factory ammo to make sure it is not the gun next time out and will be taking a 1911 and trying my handloads to see if I get the same problem through a differnt gun..

Let's imagine the pistol is fine. What could be the cause of light primer strikes? If my reloads are the problem what could be the cause?

I am able to re-run the light primer stike ammo through the pistol and they do eventually fire some rounds need to be run through more than twice but all light primer strikes/Failures to fire do eventually fire from this striker fire pistol.

Thanks for any input

All good remarks here. Hope it's OK that I just add my 2 cents.

Winchester primers are HARD. Federal primers are softer. May I suggest you reload a few mags with the Federals?

I had this issue occur in a Sig P220 where all of the springs were replaced with lighter springs. The result? Just about every round with a Winchester primer wouldn't reliably go BANG. I limited that gun to Federal primers and never had the issue occur again.

Best regards,
    - bamboomaster

(Lehigh County)

In my case my CCI small pistol primers were not fully seated.

(Dauphin County)

Reading all replies and thanks. Probably wont get to the range until the week end. In the mean time, comparing my hand loads to self defense/factory loads in terms of measurements of the case diameter to see if it is a crimp/case/chambering issue and re-examining the primer seating. I HATE thinking the problem is my reloads, but it makes the most sense to look there first...the pistol manufacturer does it for a living and they MUST fire reliably, the primer manufacturer does it for a living and they MUST fire reliably, I reload as a hobby, take it serious, been doing it for years, but gonna figure that is where I need to look first...I feel like I reload well enough that this is my first issue in many years...nevertheless, it is not working and I appreciate the advice of those willing to post and help with this trouble shoot...

(Dauphin County)

Not the gun...guess that is good news. Ran 50 rounds of factory ammo and all went bang. No light primer strikes with factory ammo. Obviously my reloads. Either not seating the primer deep enough or some sort of chambering issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast