Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default So I got to handle the Glock 42

And it is smaller than I thought it would be. However IMO it is still way too big for a 380. Just a weird kind of concept overall. It is pretty thin, I will give it that, but I'm pretty sure the height from the bottom of the magazine to the top of the slide is the same as the 26/27. The trigger and trigger guard look to be the same size as every other model (surprise).

Overall, it's just kinda.............unimpressive

A good choice for those who want a sock drawer gun or someone with weak hand strength or arthritis I suppose, but I don't understand the appeal for anyone else. I am glad I got to see one in person though.

My .02

(Bucks County)

Default Re: So I got to handle the Glock 42

I wouldn't be surprised by them putting out the same gun in 9mm after getting thousands to buy this one based just on it being "THE" single stack Glock they've been waiting years for.
    Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Bucks County)

Meh. Not interested in anything 380. A single stack 9mm maybe, but it would have to be small and very concealable. Even then it would be a nich gun that I still don't have need for.

(Montgomery County)

IMO, the LCP is everything I need a .380 pistol to be. It fits in the pocket well even with a Hogue grip and the bigger 7 round mag, is very light and easy to live with, and is cheap to boot. A true every day carry option for many people (although I do carry my G23 quite a bit more often). You're never too underdressed to conceal a LCP, unless you're nude. I'll never shoot a ton of .380, but in my hands the LCP is a surprisingly decent shooter. I'm a lot more accurate with it than I thought I would be. That said, every other pistol I own is more enjoyable at the range, and typically cheaper to shoot to boot, so the LCP only comes out every so often. For my use, I have no desire for any other .380. If Glock makes a 9mm version of the 42, I will buy it. I would only ever buy a 42 if I somehow came into a ton of money and decided to collect one of every model that Glock made (and there are quite a few Glock fanboys who have done that), but there's quite a few other things I would buy first than a whole Glock collection.

Some say they'd buy a 42 for their wives... there's no need for that in my house either. My wife doesn't shy away from hot .357 magnum loads, so why bother with a .380?

(Berks County)

Haven't touched one yet, but I'll agree that the only reason I had any interest was it's a single stack striker fired pistol, which I'm interested in for deeper concealment. If Glock had a single stack 9mm instead of .380, that would be the one for me personally. But given the size, I think a better current offering is probably the M&P shield in 9mm.

(Lancaster County)

Single stack 9 is just around the corner. Glock likes to do things the painful way or the wtf? way. I want to see the 42 in person. I saw some vids and a magazine article and it looked pretty damn small.

(Lancaster County)

Do a little searching and you will find some photos on the web comparing the 42 to other 380's in size. I think they were taken at the recent Shot Show or may be in a gun magazine site. I just don't remember exactly where the photos were. www.sigaddict.com may have a couple of them posted. Next to the SIG P238, the 42 looks huge.

(Chester County)

I have handled the g42 at two different shops. The owners at each shop say their reps indicate the 9mm version should be on shelves early 2015.

Looking forward to that for summer cc.

(Centre County)

With the technology we have today, I think there must be a way to provide a breakthrough of very slim double stack 9mm... I'd love a small 9mm with the grip of the sr9c and the slide thickness just thicker than the PF9.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity