Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Fraternal Order of Police historically backs gun bans

I posted a while back that you will see the FOP standing in photo-op style with politicos backing gun bans as it has in the past. I pointed out that the FOP does not poll its members and thereby represent the consensus...it acts on its own from the top. Someone replied i had the Chiefs of Police Association confused with the FOP. No I don't. They both do it.

1. The Fraternal Order of Police is on Congressional Record as having been a major supporter of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.
    a. http://books.google.com/books?id=ZGb80R ... an&f=false
    2. As a matter of fact and record, the FOP is accredited with assisting VP Biden in formulating the language of the newly proposed ban:
    a. http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012 ... 52546.html
    3. Additionally, as a matter of fact and public record, the FOP is in support of the newly recommended Assault Weapons Ban introduced by Senator Feinstein.
    a. FOP representatives were actually standing on the Stage during the presentation as a sign of "support".

Clinton got the support to make it look like the reasons for the bill were backed by those who should know...the police. Like I said, if the top isn't representing its members and acting in their behalf, something else is going on. Point being, do not assume the majority of officers are anti-2nd by the actions of the National FOP.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Fraternal Order of Police historically backs gun bans

The FOP needs to work on affordable healthcare for retirees and not worry about politics.

(Cumberland County)

Those links don't work.

(Perry County)

Generally the FOP takes the position of the hierarchy, like most unions. There was a big row when they endorsed Clinton for reelection. A lot of us cancelled our membership.

Most polls of rank and file officers indicate support of the 2nd Amendment in excess of 80%.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

Most polls of rank and file officers indicate support of the 2nd Amendment in excess of 80%.
    That is SOOO heartening! Thank you!

(Bucks County)

I dunno about other parts, but the FOP in Philly sucks. No disrespect to the upstanding officers out there, but locally it's full of bad apples and like most other unions, they are in bed with the local politicians and can do practically everything but walk on water.
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Generally the FOP takes the position of the hierarchy, like most unions. There was a big row when they endorsed Clinton for reelection. A lot of us cancelled our membership.

^^^^^This.

Look at most big city police departments. The leadership, are all lock step Democrats, as the Mayors, and other apparatus of the cities are Democrat.

(Westmoreland County)

As Uncle said, many of us in LE cancelled/didn't renew our memberships when the FOPs anti-2A position became known to us. Most of us in good conscience just could not support the FOP and CoPA due to this.

(Wayne County)

Thank you Unclejumbo, Scotsguard and any other leo for dropping your membership to the FOP.

I got my weekly call from the FOP Monday asking for a donation. Somehow I ended up on their mailing list and get frequent calls despite asking to be removed each time. Since they don't seem to be able to update their 'do not call' list I have resorted to taking up as much of their time as I can.

Monday's call lasted over half an hour until I finally flustered the caller. He profusely thanked me for my support even though I had not committed to a donation. To demonstrate their appreciation he offered to have his supervisor thank me personally. In the process of transferring the call I was (mistakenly I am sure) cut off.

My daughter laughs whenever she hears me on the phone with them. Monday's episode consisted of me asking the call center guy his opinion of every single police report in the Carlisle newspaper. Of course I had to fill him in on the details (read each article).

The call prior to that I claimed I lived on the 36th floor of an apartment building, the elevator was not working, want to make a donation but left the wallet in the car, knees are bad so I walk slow, bear with me because I REALLY want to make a donation. I finally got to the ground floor and remembered I left the car keys in the apartment.... don't worry it'll only take a few minutes to go back up and get them!

Yes, I am a dick. The point is if I want to make a donation I will mail a check directly to the Harrisburg FOP office on Front Street. Why send a check to a call center that takes a chunk of the money? I don't call you asking for money, don't call me at home.

I have no doubt the callers are professional fund raisers. They read directly from a script, can't answer questions such as "what is ACT 120?", and are not allowed to hang up. Any real cop would know I was leading them on and have the balls to tell me to piss.