Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Walmart has done it again

Well I've found the rifle I want and I've checked around and walmart can order it for $80 cheaper than any gun store.. By the way I've been wanting a Remington 700 SPS in .308. The walmart here in Manhattan, KS is selling one for $418 versus everyone else being up in the $500 mark.. I hate to say it, but I think I know where I'm going to be buying that rifle when I finally scrape up the last few dimes I need yet. Besides I need all the money I can get to find a good scope lol . Also I was wondering who on here has had any experience with the 700 SPS's specifically in .308 or other calibers for that matter??? Are they accurate out of the box like the company claims? Do they handle well, Are they balanced??
    Any info will be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Walmart has done it again

"Let the Wallmart bashing BEGINNNNNNNN!!!!!!

I always shop around too, congrats on finding the lowest price.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

I bought a Remington 700 SPS in .243 last year. I think I paid in the mid $400's. I bought it mostly for groundhogs and coyotes but I wanted a caliber that I could also use for deer if needed. It's wearing a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x AO scope with side focus.

I'm very impressed with the accuracy. It really likes the Federal 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. It'll put five of those into about 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards from the bench if I do my part.

It handles well for a rifle with a 24" barrel. The synthetic stock and light weight helps. I'm used to hunting deer with short lever actions and I thought carrying a longer rifle around for coyotes might be a problem. I have no complaints about the length or handling though.

If I were you, I'd get a Savage over a SPS. The SPS was marketed to compete with Savage rifles. One of the members on here Spectre6 bought an SPS. He couldn't get his to group very well. He ended up going from a 30/06 to making it a 308. He bought a better barrel for the SPS. If he would have bought something better from the get go, he wouldn't have had to go the aftermarket route.

IMO, these rifles are better than the stock SPS and most of these rifles are selling at the same price point.

ANY Savage rifle
    Tikka
    Howa

(Franklin County)

I really like the remington action though.

(Delaware County)

I agree to go where the price is right,but remember that Walmart selling guns at bargain basement prices is bad for the local Mom and Pop gun stores we all frequent and is of course taking there business away. My point is try asking someone at Walmart for an AR-15 or a Tactical shotgun. There are some things they just can't get for you! So the moral of my rant is pick and chose what you buy at Walmart but sometimes it's better to pay the extra 20 or 30 bucks to keep the local gun shops in business. Just my 2 cents.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Bucks County)

I'm as much a capitalist as the next guy, but I agree 100% with Jimmy.

(Franklin County)

Unhappy Re: Walmart has done it again

Yeah but for $80 cheaper heck I can buy 4 boxes of ammo for it or some nice scope mounts ??? Besides I'm kind of tired of all of those gun shops over charging. I do know that the above state about AR15 buying, but still I'd probably buy online and have it transfered. Its like all the gun store owners are out to get ya and not even willing to wheel and deal. I dont know I guess I'm just getting tired of being overcharged. Maybe in the future I'll get my class 01 FFL and just have a little shop out of my basement. I'm sure my business would be good if I offered dirt cheap prices, just charge enough to cover shipping on the gun and background checks and like $5 extra for possibly paying off buying my FFL license in a year or two. I dont know I'm just getting tired of getting over charged, anyone else feel the bite when they walk into the gunstore. I'm not overly blessed with money you know Who feels my pain on this one?? Besides I'm sure we could get into a debate on this subject lol

When it comes to certain stores, you can expect certain service, or no service, all depends. Guying a gun at Wal-Mart is no different. You can buy there cheaper, can you get it services thought them? No so when you buy from there, you better know how to service it, or expect to pay through the nose to get it services elsewhere. Places that KNOW you buy at their competitors, will charge you to get repairs done, where as they might not charge if they made the sale.

If you buy a gun at a gun shop, or through a gun smith, you can generally count on service. Either they repair it right there, or they ship it back to the maker for repair.

I will give you a great example of this in a parallel way. Computers, you can buy computers at Wal-Mart, you can buy them at circuit city, best buy or many local mom and pop shops around the state. Then again, you can repair your own computer if you know what your doing..

My wife needed to have a computer after her gateway died on her. So off to circuit city we go… Easy sale, one e-machine $250 with windows XP installed, now any one who ever bought Windows XP knows its price… The computer was a bargain at any rate, the monitor was worth $125, and XP for $125, so in essence the monitor and the XP is the cost of the computer.
    Circuit city said if the E-machine dies within 6 months, they replace it!! I was all wowed, we did not need a super machine, just a computer to go on the net to do things.. This did exactly that.

2 weeks later, the power pack goes on the e-machine… I go back to Circuit city.. “Oh sir, we have to send it back to e-machine, it takes 6 to 8 weeks.. OR you can order the part from E-machine directly and install it your self, or we can install it for you here once you get the part….

I’m scratching my brains here.. Aren’t you the guy who sold me this POS 2 weeks ago and said if there is any problem, bring it back and we replace it free of charge? I mean I am from Canada, in 14 days you can bring some thing back under any reason and get your money back, working or not.

Well Sir, what I meant to say is we will ship it back to E-machine, they will do the repairs free of charge and ship it back here, we charge $50 for shipping and handling…

I ripped my multi tool out of my belt, start ripping apart the computer, take out the hard drive and memory from it, place the machine on the floor where I stomp on the side to break the mobo, and say to the salesman, here thanks for lying to me about great service.
    I then went to Comp USA where I expect absolutely no service. And bought al the components to make a new computer from scratch.. Total cost minus the drive and memory was around $300. The salesman there asked me all the proper questions, Do you have a current version of XP.. Yes I do. OK do you have a monitor, keyboard, mouse.. Yes I do! So I explain to him my Circuit city adventure with E-machine… He goes off a second and gets his manager. Manager says I heard you had a hard time at Circuit city Sir… Yes I explain the pains I had and why I am buying all these parts to make my own computer.

Now this is to the credit of this particular manager. When I walked out of there, because he had 2 people there with him who where comparing prices and saying they wanted to compare to e-machines. He asked me to hold on a minute and brought over the clients who where still in the store looking over other things, asked me to re-explain the e-machine deal to them. Both those clients thanked me for explaining this to them then bought Comp-USA computers, (Apples) the manager walked me to the register where he asked again if I had a hard drive… Memory..? Then held up his hand and said wait, I have a 200 Gig drive here, walked away, I was all worked up again, I don’t need a hard DRIVE!!! He comes back to the register where by this time the cashier is all worried about me having a heart attack or some thing. Shows her the parts, hard drive and 512 of memory for the mother board, and says these will be on the store as replacement parts… 200 Gig drive and 512 memory, total cost at that time, $250 free!!! He said now you can say you don’t have an E-machine any more…

That is service, Mind you I am sure he made sales based on my visit there, and will have a tool to sell more computers to bargain shoppers.

Now Had I bought the computer at Wally-World, I could have expected the same service as Circuit city, To me, the same is true about buying a gun there. Mind you, just like a computer, I would know what I needed to do to repair a gun so would just need the parts to do so, but as gun Parts stores are pretty rare… The best deal is buying from a place that has stock and a smith right there to do the work.
    Last edited by Frenchy; January 21st, 2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typos
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYC308 View Post
    I agree to go where the price is right,but remember that Walmart selling guns at bargain basement prices is bad for the local Mom and Pop gun stores we all frequent and is of course taking there business away. My point is try asking someone at Walmart for an AR-15 or a Tactical shotgun. There are some things they just can't get for you! So the moral of my rant is pick and chose what you buy at Walmart but sometimes it's better to pay the extra 20 or 30 bucks to keep the local gun shops in business. Just my 2 cents.
    This is very true and should be a concern for all of us. Yes, it's possible to walk away with $60 or $80 more in your pocket, but when Walmart deceids to stop selling guns and ammo in your location, where is the customer loyalty you might require to save a 40 or 50 mile drive? At $3 a gallon, that $80 woun't get you too far. Let's also not forget the convenience provided by the Mom n Pop shops that have so far, survived.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast