Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default In Love with LCR

First time with this piece that I just picked up at great price, slightly used...

For anyone considering or on the fence about it - BUY ONE!

I was never but now am a 'wheel man' - this will be my EDC; did not go for the 357 rounds, but did shoot 100 rds of remington 38 special 158 gr. range ammo (white box), and about 20 rds of remington 38 special +p 125 gr. golden saber BJHP.

One-handed shooting is no issue with this gun, feel completely in control and was on-target at 7- and 12-yds.

I could shoot this gun all day; in fact, I liked shooting it much better than my shield 40 cal.

(Clarion County)

Default Re: In Love with LCR

I love mine in 38 special with CT laser system. Is yours the 357 model but you shot 38 specials out of, or is it the 38 special model?

(Philadelphia County)

I got the 357 model - I think I got an incredible deal too at $350.
    It was used but cosmetically and operationally the gun seemed barely touched...

I also wanted the 357 because it is a KLCR - the "K" being Ruger's designation for Stainless Steel; the frame on the 38 special LCR is aluminum, the KLCR (357) frame is Stainless Steel.

I have read that it is a little heavier and that might 'defeat' the intention of the "L" in LCR - "light". But the extra 3.5 oz or so does not bother me. Some also claim that the extra weight will help with recoil of the 38 special +P, personally I am not sure if it really makes a difference or not... That so much did not matter to me in the end, it was more that I wanted that option of be able to go 38 sp, 38 sp +p, and 357.

As soon as I got home from the range, I did my first cleaning on it (I use froglube) - the gun cleaned up really nice... I can't wait to go back to the range with it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    I got the 357 model - I think I got an incredible deal too at $350.
    It was used but cosmetically and operationally the gun seemed barely touched...

I also wanted the 357 because it is a KLCR - the "K" being Ruger's designation for Stainless Steel; the frame on the 38 special LCR is aluminum, the KLCR (357) frame is Stainless Steel.

I have read that it is a little heavier and that might 'defeat' the intention of the "L" in LCR - "light". But the extra 3.5 oz or so does not bother me. Some also claim that the extra weight will help with recoil of the 38 special +P, personally I am not sure if it really makes a difference or not... That so much did not matter to me in the end, it was more that I wanted that option of be able to go 38 sp, 38 sp +p, and 357.

As soon as I got home from the range, I did my first cleaning on it (I use froglube) - the gun cleaned up really nice... I can't wait to go back to the range with it.
    Thanks for your post. I was unaware of the KLCR.....Tim
    Tim

(Westmoreland County)

Bought a 357 LCR and tried it. Liked it so much I got another!

Awesome guns

(Philadelphia County)

well said... hunting for the LCR 22LR now!

the lightweight 38spl is a nice piece

the .357 is great too but a bit on the heavy side imo

how do you guys carry yours? ankle holster?

the barrels are super short (as you know)

what are your favorite carry munitions?
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Philadelphia County)

FOR CARRY:

i carry mine appendix carry IWB in a remora and/or sticky... it carries great there but makes me nervous.
    also... honesty time here... if you have any hair on your abs, the stock hogue grips rip them out when you fast draw from this position - but whatever, i won't be worried about that if i need to fast draw. the adren rush from the roots being ripped out might even help - lol.

i would prefer and have also carried at 4-5 o'clock with same rig, since it follows one of the 'golden rules' - (do not have the barrel pointed at something you do not wish to destroy... and i DO NOT wish to destroy my privates)... but i think i print too much if i bend at the waist.

looking to pick up the talon holster, specifically made for the LCR with the clip - maybe that will give me other position options.

FOR AMMO:

so far i only have been carrying remington golden saber 38 special +p, 125 gr. BJHP. i have read that the gold dot 38 special +p, 135 gr. HP are best - i just can't find them locally at a good price.

(Westmoreland County)

Des antis belt holster, UM pocket holster, Galco ankle glove. Use all for one or both depending on clothing and situation.

I've found the CorBon 38 spl. DPX rounds penetrate 12 inches through jeans and ballistic gel and are easy enough to control for rapid follow up shots.

Hornady 125gr FTX 357 mag is a close second for control if I want a bigger bang, but rarely use them.

Have the express tritium dot on each and one wears the hogue compact grip and the other sports a CT laser, which I find to be a huge asset on little guns.

(Philadelphia County)

I just picked up the Meprolight Tritium Front Sight tonight... debating about putting it on.

It appears to be of decent build and a slimmer profile/ more stock looking that XS standard tritium front sight but the dot is really small and the 'white' surrounding the tritium is almost too small to see at arms length.

Also, just an FYI, the roll pin is way too long and will need trimming or a separate buy for the right length - worried about bending it if I trim it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast