Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Smart pistols - good thing or bad thing?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/02/...ntcmp=features

Seems like largely a good thing if you want to pay for it. But I'd never be comfortable with it if it was a self defense gun. Seen way too many electronic products have issues.

Bigger issue is if these catch on, at what point will the legislation requiring these begin to get traction. I'm all for it if it's another product available. All against it if big brother begins to require it.

EDIT: Oops - covered in this thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/247...it-market.html
    Last edited by JB What's up; February 21st, 2014 at 11:07 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Smart pistols - good thing or bad thing?

I don't like it one bit personally.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(York County)

Interesting idea but its a fantasy. The technology isn't there. At this point its unreliable and likely to cause someone to lose their life when it fails. I think it fails to work about 10+% of the time, and the retrofit crap is bullshit. For movies, where it should stay, it's great...but it doesn't work in real life.
    Last edited by DClan; February 21st, 2014 at 02:18 PM.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Philadelphia County)

When cops are only allowed to carry these kinds of guns, I'll consider them.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    When cops are only allowed to carry these kinds of guns, I'll consider them.
    This. Force all LEO's to use them and then we'll talk.

(Cumberland County)

BAD

They will try every angle to control and eliminate firearm ownership by the citizens. They keep trying various bans of magazines larger than X, guns that do this, look like that, etc. They keep trying to push lead ammunition bans and other controls on ammo. This is going to be one more way that they will use to control guns in the hands of the free people. Think about it - They can shut down a stolen car which is computer controlled (think OnStar). This same technology can be built into these "smart" guns and used against us, to shut down our guns, when we are forced to use them to take OUR government back from corrupted and dictatorial leaders.

Tin foil hat - maybe. Given the track record of the antis, I would not put it past them.

Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    BAD

They will try every angle to control and eliminate firearm ownership by the citizens. They keep trying various bans of magazines larger than X, guns that do this, look like that, etc. They keep trying to push lead ammunition bans and other controls on ammo. This is going to be one more way that they will use to control guns in the hands of the free people. Think about it - They can shut down a stolen car which is computer controlled (think OnStar). This same technology can be built into these "smart" guns and used against us, to shut down our guns, when we are forced to use them to take OUR government back from corrupted and dictatorial leaders.

Tin foil hat - maybe. Given the track record of the antis, I would not put it past them.
    The government has openly discussed an Internet and cell phone "kill switch", so applying the same thing to firearms would be a logical step.

(Luzerne County)

Everything with electrical/electronics breaks down. And always at the most inopportune moment......
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Berks County)

Bad. When all of these POS Politician's PSD's use them with the limitations they pass on the citizenry (magazine capacity for example), I will further research the possibilities. Until then, fuck you.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(York County)

There is always the chance that there will be circuitry installed with the ability for police or government agencies to deactivate the gun remotely for "safety" purposes, such as a no-knock warrant or in forced "gun free" zones. Apple has applied for a technology patent just for that purpose, to allow government /police agencies to decide when that want cameras /connection functions disabled.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast