87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Browning Buckmark/Ruger 22-45

62 71.26%
  • M&P22/SR22

25 28.74%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default which .22 pistol

Here's a question for you guys and gals.

I'm looking to buy a .22 pistol to plink with....and was wonder what you think would be best as a "first" one.

I say first, but I also own a Colt New Frontier made in the mid 70's. It's a very nice gun given to me by my father, but apparently is fairly rare, and not what I would call a good range gun. Accurate...but not what I want to put 200 rounds downrange at a time in.

Which leads to my next question...

Would you recommend a old reliable (Ruger 22/45 or Browning Buckmark) or a newer style blowback (M&P22, SR22, Sig 1911-22)?

I kind of see both views. One with an Older design, tons of aftermarket, never wear out style vs one with a newer design, less aftermarket with a design to transition to striker fired pistols easier.

I own a XDm and a Shield (carry gun), and was kind of leaning toward the M&P22 for that reason (more practice for cheaper), but the 22/45 Lite and Buckmark Camper kind of drew my attention.

So guys, sway me one way or the other!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: which .22 pistol

I just like the look of the older style pistols. They have a longer track record also. One thing I have heard is the Rugers are hard to take apart and reassemble. I own none of the listed guns so my opinion is only worth 1 cent in this case.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Chester County)

It's too bad you have an XDm as there is a .22LR conversion for the standard XD models now.

Out of the choices you listed I'll give a +1 for the M&P22. I have one and it a great shooter that is cheap to run. When you can find .22LR.

(Berks County)

I vote M&P22 because I have M&P's in 45 so it makes for a like platform.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    One thing I have heard is the Rugers are hard to take apart and reassemble.
    Its not bad at all. The only "gotcha" is that when youre closing the mainspring lever keep the muzzle pointed up. Other than that its easy.

Ruger Mark III 22/45!

(Chester County)

Any Ruger Mk. II pistol. The Mk. III pistols are a pain in the butt to reassemble.

(Lackawanna County)

Love my Ruger SR22.

Eats any and everything I feed it, and it's not a bitch to disassemble/assemble for cleaning.

(Lancaster County)

Browning buck mark is above and beyond the most reliable .22 LR pistol I have shot. Heck of a lot easier to break down and clean. Also lots of aftermarket parts available for it. The ruger MKs would be second on my list, and then most of those tactical looking .22 semis are grouped together. Most of them will run just fine with high velocity ammo, but they can be really finicky.

(Bucks County)

Among the usual suspects, for accuracy you aren't gonna beat the Ruger Mark III (or II). Several models, barrel lengths, lots of aftermarket too. This is a heavy pistol. The Ruger video makes it a breeze to disassemble the Marks, though it's probably best to have a plastic or rubber hammer and a punch (watch the video).

Make sure you clean it before use, or you WILL have misfeeds, stovepipes, etc. There also is a little experience required loading the mags; load 10, pop one out, and look carefully at how the next bullet (now on top) oriented itself in the mag. Re-insert the 10th bullet (and/or the last bullet you put in every mag) *exactly* in that alignment

The SR22 is light, fun, looks great, but is not as accurate. Early on at least you'll want to run it a bit wet as it has a tendency to collect lead or wax from bullets on the feed ramp, resulting in (early) feed failures. That disappears later on. Mine shot CCI mini-mags without error, however, and after ~500 rounds fed and shot anything pretty well.

Yes, I have both; started with the SR22 and a CT Laser. Wanted more accuracy so added the Mark III Competition with an Aimpoint optic. The Mark III is without doubt my favorite pistol to shoot for accuracy.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1990dtgl98 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a .22 pistol to plink with....and was wonder what you think would be best as a "first" one.
    To me, "plinking" is more than a casual thing. Shooting at cans from 50 feet away requires a gun with better than "minute of bad guy" accuracy. With that in mind, I'd get the most accurate and affordable pistol possible. Anything else will simply be frustrating.

Ruger Mk II or Mk III, or Browning Buckmark. (Unless you happen upon a S&W K22 Masterpiece that someone is throwing away.)

--Phil

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast