Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default FN FIVE-SEVEN MALFUNCTION

As a fn five-seven owner, i looked around at some discussion boards about the gun and found this. he was shooting ammo that he reloaded himself. the dudes hand got tore up pretty good. F@*ked up.

Default Re: FN FIVE-SEVEN MALFUNCTION

(Philadelphia County)

I did not know if that was posted before, i just joined. i figured that even if it was. that picture deserves a repost. that had to be a pretty scary moment. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE77 View Post
    I did not know if that was posted before, i just joined. i figured that even if it was. that picture deserves a repost. that had to be a pretty scary moment. thanks.
    No biggy, just helping out the mods merge the threads

(Wayne County)

He used reloads....payed the penalty of several surgeries. Also, lost the warantee. Sucks.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Allegheny County)

I realize that guns are a pretty personal matter for some people. Insulting a man's gun, or even seeming like you have, is almost like insulting his car or his lady. So I will state for the record that I don't mean to offend anyone who owns a Five Seven.

That disclaimer aside...

Two years ago, at the Army's annual "Warfighter Conference" at Fort Benning, I got the chance to talk to FN Herstal reps about the Five Seven USG. I asked them about the terminal ballistics. They gave me their sales pitch about the fantastic performance of the SS190. They said that in the 4.75" barrel there is obviously some reduction in performance from the 10.2" P90, but that they still had confidence in the terminal ballistics. When I told them that I was interested in possibly getting a Five Seven for civilian use (I was in uniform) they quietly advised me to consider their FNP series in 40 S&W instead. When I pressed them, they openly admitted that the terminal ballistics of the SS196/197 SR just aren't anywhere near what they should be for a self-defense gun. I also asked about the SS192, still looking for a glimmer of hope and was told basically the same thing.

I only post this because the information was straight from the horse's mouth, not from some ad hoc "test" done by a gun magazine's writer or some blogger at his local Rod & Rifle Club.

Based on what I was told by FN's own guys I decided I'd pass and spend the money on something else. I think they are neat guns, and if I had money to burn I might buy one as a novelty or range toy. But I wouldn't buy one and stake my life on it for personal defense unless the SS190 or a similar true "tactical" or "premium defense" load becomes available.

(Chester County)

Unhappy Re: FN FIVE-SEVEN MALFUNCTION

Hi,
    I bought a 5.7 about 2 months ago. I am the 2nd owner, the original owner bought it and was not picked for a competition, so he sold it back to the gun store where he bought it. I bought it and fired it or attempted to fire it. The first 20 rounds were ok, the 2nd 20 were mostly stove pipes or the brass not ejecting properly. The range master came in and it did the same thing for him. 5 rounds were ok, 5 in a row with a brass ejection malfunction. I took it home and cleaned it as it still had some minor packing grease on it from the factory. I took it out a few day ago and the same thing, X amount of rounds fire great, the next X amount stove pipe. This happened to all 3 factory magazines. Any help on fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated! thanks
    jim

(Monroe County)

Panther , the FN reps told you right, the FNP pistol (which i own in .40) would make a better edc carry self defense Gun, the FN 5.7(which i also own) WERE NOT designed to be a EDC Gun, its a specialty tool designed for troops that may need a high capacity gun that that penetrate armor at close range , say a tank crew that finds themselves knocked out and being overrunned .

It were not supposed to be a EDC Gun.