Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Question D'Eagle 50ae... Add to Cart?...

Hey folks, I've got a few questions about the Desert Eagle 50AE. I have an itch to buy one in the future, having shot one in .44 Mag.

-How ugly are they to handle recoil-wise? Do they sting like a crack? Or are they thrusty like catching a watermelon? (I've heard tell of State Troopers who refuse to shoot them.)

-Is the 50AE round any more powerful than the handloads I run through my USP .45? I haven't seen any ballistic comparisons yet, but the .45s I put together are pretty lively... Probably P++ or better.
    Is it a question of penetrating an additional 2 inches of ballistics gel, or 2 feet?

I've found the one I think would suit me online. Just looking for some experienced insight before I click "BUY".

Stay warm!
    Political Correctness is the idea that you can pick up a Turd by the Clean End.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: D'Eagle 50ae... Add to Cart?...

AWKWARD
    That sums it up. I shot the .44 and .50 The .44 gave visions of Dirty Harry's automag the .50 gave images of a 105mm howitzer breach surgeing back.
    It's impressive to shoot. But that gigantic slide going back and forth just didn't seem right.

If you want a hand cannon in the purest sense go for the 50. But I liked the 44 more.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Quote Originally Posted by A_Wrench View Post
    Hey folks, I've got a few questions about the Desert Eagle 50AE. I have an itch to buy one in the future, having shot one in .44 Mag.

-How ugly are they to handle recoil-wise? Do they sting like a crack? Or are they thrusty like catching a watermelon? (I've heard tell of State Troopers who refuse to shoot them.)
    -Is the 50AE round any more powerful than the handloads I run through my USP .45? I haven't seen any ballistic comparisons yet, but the .45s I put together are pretty lively... Probably P++ or better.
    Is it a question of penetrating an additional 2 inches of ballistics gel, or 2 feet?

I've found the one I think would suit me online. Just looking for some experienced insight before I click "BUY".

Stay warm!
    What does being a Trooper and shooting a .50 Desert Eagle have in common? PSP Troopers are human just like you and I. Just because they drive a cool car or wear a hat with a goofy chin strap doesn't mean they are special when it comes to firearms.

My opinion... .50 DE is nothing but impractical. It's too big and too heavy to carry, isn't concealable, costly to shoot, stupidly expensive, etc... I have no desire to own a Desert Eagle but if I did I'd buy the .44 At least ammo is easy to find in that caliber.

(York County)

The 500 Mag stings. The 50AE feels like you can shoot it all day if you can afford it. Mostly due to it being an auto, not a revolver.

Yes, by a long shot. Heavier bullet traveling much faster than a 45acp.

Stay warm!
    Answers in red.

If you find a box of 50AE I'll let you shoot mine as long as you give me a few shots too, I'm out of ammo!

(Westmoreland County)

I had one in .44 mag years ago. Fun guns to shoot. I liked it and wish I had not sold it. If I were to do it again I'd get the .50 AE. The gun is kind off impractical. But who cares, not everything in life needs to be practical. They throw off some pretty impressive muzzle flashes if you use the right powder. 296 or H110.

(York County)

If I wanted a semiautomatic fifty that was manageable, I'd take a hard look at the .50GI.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Montgomery County)

Get it, you won't be sorry. It is a very manageable gun to shoot. I can shoot my cousin's with one hand without any issues. They are pretty accurate pistol.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Washington County)

Get the it!! I just bought one in January and love it to death!

Yeah it kicks pretty good (pure power is my description), but it's not like it isn't managable. Don't listen to other people that say the DE can't be tamed; they don't know how to shoot All that is required is a good grip and proper shooting stance, and you will be wearing a smile all freaking day (at least I wore one all day).

Trust me, you will absolutely LOVE the DE.

Also, you will want to reload for it since the ammo isn't cheap; it's also pretty hard to find right now. If you do buy it and need ammo, midwayusa is allowing backorders to be placed that are expected to arrive in the beginning of May. They also have a good price on Lee's Reloading Dies too.

Good luck with your purchase
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Cumberland County)

Stay warm!
    No sting for me, definitely a thrust kinda recoil though. Probably because the thing weighs 47 pounds.

I wouldn't even consider it unless I had tons of cash or could setup to reload .50AE. It's friggin expensive even if you reload it, forget about buying factory stuff.

.50AE is another story altogether, hot hot hot .45acp doesn't even come close.

If you can swing the cash and the ammo situation go for it, They are fun as all hell to shoot, but pretty much worthless if you ever need a practical firearm.

Here's a video of the very first time I shot one. I keep bumping the slide stop with my thumb, that's why the slide keeps locking back. I consider myself a fairly accomplished shooter, but this video makes me look like a novice. I'm a big boy too, and the gun tosses me around a little. That being said it's really not painful or anything like that, and with a little practice it's pretty easy to control.

Edit; Lol, I flinch like a sissy on the first shot.

Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

Ace Sporting Goods in Washington, PA has one in gold, albeit in .44 Mag not 50AE. I haven't been good enough to deserve that much bling.

Ace had more subdued Stainless versions in 50AE.

This is one of those (few) firearms I do not have a desire to own. I wouldn't mind shooting one just for the experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast