Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Budget AR/Need a Budget Optic

To start, I just built my first AR. A PSA special, $400 and change for LBK, Lower Receiver, Upper. So, looking for a budget optic.

I will be shooting out to 100 yards. I would like to keep it under $150. It's a budget build for range fun, not competition. I would like a reflex or red dot, I think. Yup, that's the extent of my optic knowledge. so I come to you all for some advice.

Thanks!

Just saw this, looks okay?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vorte...12&WT.tsrc=AFF
    Last edited by Gunowner99; February 17th, 2014 at 09:04 PM.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Budget AR/Need a Budget Optic

You're on the right track for your price range. I don't recall where I saw it but I think Vortex is coming out with a few new optics. One of them is either the Sparc or the StrikeFire.
    http://www.vortexoptics.com

Edit: Congrats on the new assembly!
    Last edited by AJ C-burg; February 17th, 2014 at 10:31 PM.

(Wayne County)

That will work well. They make a "red dot only" version that is supposed to be a bit brighter in direct sun.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-s...ar15-hunt.html

Another optic for consideration is the Primary arms micro. Pretty slick for
    $100 or so. This combo is basically a Aimpoint micro + LT660 clone. Read up on them, they get great reviews. They also have a good warranty/customer support.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-...llhmbundle.htm

Note the PA is a 3 moa dot and the Strikefire is 4 moa if that matters to you.
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; February 17th, 2014 at 10:42 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Both of those will work well for you. I am looking at getting one of them for my pistol build that I am about to start. DO NOT ask this question on ARFcom...you will be told how inferior you are if you won't spend $29283984398523402934 on an optic. These two are both good optics with great reviews.

(Allegheny County)

I got the "Special Purchase" Micro Red Dot from Primary Arms on Black Friday for something like $49

I wanted another but they sold out. I clicked the "notify me" button and a few weeks ago I got an email that they were back, but in a few hours they had sold out before I could order.

If interested, here's the link since I don't think you can find it on the website now.
    Last price was $59.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    Both of those will work well for you. I am looking at getting one of them for my pistol build that I am about to start. DO NOT ask this question on ARFcom...you will be told how inferior you are if you won't spend $29283984398523402934 on an optic. These two are both good optics with great reviews.
    The kind of response you get is typical on any gun board, if your looking for an optic for range use and plinking they are fine. If you want an optic that you may need for a SHTF or your life depends on it then spend the money on a quality optic.

(Wayne County)

The AR15.com EE is good to search for cheap shit. They have a used optic sub forum.... You see vortex's and things there stupid cheap. Cool thing is you could buy a strikefire or something at deep discount and you are still covered.

I missed out on this baby *cry........$60 shipped

I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Berks County)

Thanks for all of the help so far. Seems the Cabelas special is done, back to normal price.

Excuse my ignorance, but the difference between 3 and 4moa is the size of the dot? Why would one be better, smaller is more accurate?

The Vortex and the Primary Arms do the same thing? Why is one better than the other? Would I need a magnification to help? I'm middle aged, but like to see the target well. Also, am I on the right track with the optic? I don't want a scope since I am not using it long distance. Why not a reflex out of curiousity? I have minimal knowledge, sorry.

Also, I assume Magpul BUIS for the back or is there something less expensive?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Centre County)

I'll add a +1 for the Primary Arms red dot. I have one that has been on either and AR or a M&P 15-22 for the last three years with zero problems. I ponied up the bucks for an American Defense QD mount, which is absolutely top notch. I just purchased another PA red dot for a 10/22 TD that is a newer generation that seems like even more of a deal (better quality)……

PA is known for excellent CS, if you have a problem. Here's a like to there page on ARF.com…..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/325_Primary_Arms.html

The difference between the 3 and 4 MOA dot will only be noticed at distance. The larger dot covers more of your target (say, at 100; even more at 200, etc) and can make precise hits more difficult. It is, in my opinion, a matter of preference, but I would always choose the small(er) dot. It works better for me…..
    Last edited by FLICK; February 18th, 2014 at 11:48 AM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

The Vortex SPARC is still on sale for $150. Would be my choice for your budget.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...dot-optic.html

or another good option

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...green-dot.html

I buy red dots with a 2moa dot. Adjusting the brightness makes the dot appear bigger. A smaller dot comes in handy for longer range targets and when using a magnifier.

The Magpul plastic BUIS is one of the cheapest but is still a robust site. I recently bought a new USMC surplus KAC 200-600 micro site for $60 which was a killer deal.
    Last edited by dkf; February 18th, 2014 at 11:47 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast