Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Stoeger Cougar 45 Range Report

After buying a Cougar 45 from a member of the forum ( great guy, great experience) I finally got the pistol to the range today. Man, do I like this gun. Recoil is modest considering the size of the gun. The Cougar ate everything. Two brands of round ball and also Federal HST. I shot about 130 round total. The three dot sights are small but make acquiring the target easy. They are not adjustable and I consistently shot low and to the right of the target. DA trigger pull is long and hard for me to keep the sights on target, as you would expect, but the SA trigger is fairly short and crisp. A really fun gun to shoot. Certainly not a target pistol but very respectable accuracy at 10 and 15 yards. The next time I am at the range I will try from a bench rest and would expect some really decent groups. And the pistol is built like a tank. Fit and finish of this gun is excellent. I wanted an all metal 45, SA/DA and the Cougar really fits the bill. I am still grinning!

(York County)

Default Re: Stoeger Cougar 45 Range Report

Mrs Curmudgeon has the Beretta Cougar 8045 which also purchased used. It is a nice little pistol with a good feel to it. It's nice to see something posted about a hard-to-find item like this.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

I'm glad it found a good home where it would be used and not just sit on the nightstand. I think I shot low and to the left with it.

They have nice grips and you can get nightsites for it too.
    Last edited by PA1936MN; February 18th, 2014 at 05:05 AM.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ChemDave View Post
    After buying a Cougar 45 from a member of the forum ( great guy, great experience) I finally got the pistol to the range today. Man, do I like this gun. Recoil is modest considering the size of the gun. The Cougar ate everything. Two brands of round ball and also Federal HST. I shot about 130 round total. The three dot sights are small but make acquiring the target easy. They are not adjustable and I consistently shot low and to the right of the target. DA trigger pull is long and hard for me to keep the sights on target, as you would expect, but the SA trigger is fairly short and crisp. A really fun gun to shoot. Certainly not a target pistol but very respectable accuracy at 10 and 15 yards. The next time I am at the range I will try from a bench rest and would expect some really decent groups. And the pistol is built like a tank. Fit and finish of this gun is excellent. I wanted an all metal 45, SA/DA and the Cougar really fits the bill. I am still grinning!
    Congrats and enjoy!

(Bucks County)

One of the few handguns I really regret selling. I had both the nine & the 45 full size, thousands of rds fired & never a single failure. I firmly believe that the Stoeger/Beretta Cougars are still one of the best handgun values available today. Enjoy!

(Montgomery County)

I really like the profile but when I saw it in person it looked bigger than I thought. Already having a full size 1911 makes me hesitant to add it to my line up.

(Delaware County)

Only .45 I ever shot was a rented 8045 cougar about 13 years ago. It was at The Firing Line in south Philadelphia. I liked it but did not have the money for one. If I ever get a .45 acp it will probably be a Cougar.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.