Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Economics of reloading

I like to shoot as often as I can. Buying ammo, as most of us know, is expensive.

I have been seriously considering reloading. I am approaching it from a cost perspective (versus consistency or match grade ammo perspective)

I started looking at the component costs of reloading .40 S&W. After a quick search I found the following:

1. Brass - assuming I would buy brass I found once fired .40 for $0.04 per round (oncefiredbrass.com)

2. Primers - CCI pistol primers from Midway $0.03 per round

3. Powder - Buying 8lbs and assuming about 5 gr each that's about $0.02 per round

4. Bullets - 180gr plated flat nose about $0.13 per round

Add all that up and it comes to $0.22 per finished round. This does not include the $200 for a Lee Progressive press.

I currently purchase most of my .40 S&W from Laxammo.com. Their reloads are $0.265 each. Is the 4 1/2 cents savings really worth it? I would have to load over 4400 rounds for the savings just to pay for the press.

III% - Stand and be counted

(York County)

Default Re: Economics of reloading

For some it's all about the economics, and I know some folks reload so much that it does pay off for them eventually. And then it just keeps on paying. Another consideration is that you might find times when the components are available, but new or reloaded ammo is not, so you have something more than just economics to consider, but I think it has always been safe to say that the economics requires more than a couple thousand rounds to justify. You also might want to consider making your comparisons with personal defense ammo and see if you can't recoup costs even more quickly.

For others, it's a hobby in and of itself. Some folks just enjoy the time they spend doing it. Some folks stock up like crazy on all the components and have a secondary source they can count on during the next scare, and the can be comfort found in that as well.

Still others do it for the pursuit of a quality and accuracy they can't find in mass produced ammo.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post
    I like to shoot as often as I can. Buying ammo, as most of us know, is expensive.

I have been seriously considering reloading. I am approaching it from a cost perspective (versus consistency or match grade ammo perspective)

I started looking at the component costs of reloading .40 S&W. After a quick search I found the following:

1. Brass - assuming I would buy brass I found once fired .40 for $0.04 per round (oncefiredbrass.com)

2. Primers - CCI pistol primers from Midway $0.03 per round

3. Powder - Buying 8lbs and assuming about 5 gr each that's about $0.02 per round

4. Bullets - 180gr plated flat nose about $0.13 per round

Add all that up and it comes to $0.22 per finished round. This does not include the $200 for a Lee Progressive press.

I currently purchase most of my .40 S&W from Laxammo.com. Their reloads are $0.265 each. Is the 4 1/2 cents savings really worth it? I would have to load over 4400 rounds for the savings just to pay for the press.
    Well, three points:

• Brass can be reloaded many times. The .38 special I use for target can be reloaded for years. I figure my 9mm target loads will be good for quite a few reloads, but not as much as .38 due to higher 9mm pressures.
    • If you don't mind using lead, you can buy excellent quality hard cast lead .40 from King's Shooter Supply (Rogers Bullets) for about $.08 per round.
    • I don't know what else you shoot besides .40 S&W. For me, I shoot a lot of .38 and .357 with revolvers and a levergun. I can load mouse-fart .38 target loads for about $.12 a round (the brass is used so many times it is negligible as a cost factor) or a .357 mag load over 2000 fps for the rifle with the same dies.

I can make anything I want, when I want it. Before I reloaded, I'd take whatever was on the shelf and be glad to get it. That is worth something to me.

(Chester County)

Check your calculations.

Even if you buy the brass the first time, you call it reloading for a reason. If you use a common caliber, you come home from the range with more brass than you took there. With 9mm, I average coming home with about 150% of what I fired.

Collect your brass and shop harder for components. Just keep your eyes open and when you come across a better deal than you were getting, that is your new supplier until you do better.

I reload a good amount of 9mm, which everyone thinks is not economically practical. Find 9mm for less than $15 per box of 50 and you are doing well. I reload that same box for $5.26

I have no problem with Lee in general. My first single stage was Lee and it did well. Skip the Lee progressive press. I have never met anyone that did not get frustrated with it and replace it. I even borrowed one from a friend who I was considering buying it from. I gave it back to him.

Saving almost $10 per box, it was not hard to justify $400 on a dillon 550b. That things cranks out ammo and I have no regrets.

When I was buying ammo, a weekly range trip was 100-150 rounds and I was comfortable with my ECW. Reloading, my weekly trip is between 300 and 500 rounds and my proficiency gain is better than proportional. Shooting with friends that still buy ammo, I empty two 10 round mags in a 2"-4" group from a Glock 26 before they have done their first mag swap. My double and triple tap targets look like their slow fire targets.

I am nothing special. It is just that practice makes perfect and I can afford to practice more because I reload.

I have often heard, but never believed it. Reloading will not save you any money. You will just shoot more. It is very true.

+1 for Rodger's BB
    Last edited by Sshuker; February 17th, 2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: +1 for Rodger's BB

(Bucks County)

When you shoot in bulk it all adds up....i cant believe how long i waited to start reloading .45

Im not the type of person to go shoot a box of ammo and leave, my buddy and I will be at the range for hours

However, reason i dont load 9mm yet, is the difference in cost and my time put forth is not worth it....will i stock 9mm components on hand (i plan too), but invest my time in reloading 9mm dont see that happening anytime soon

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Still others do it for the pursuit of a quality and accuracy they can't find in mass produced ammo.
    Yes, this ^ is important. When I work up loads for a rifle or pistol application, I'll take 5 to 10 different powder/bullet/primer combinations to the range with my chronograph to see what shoots the best. I've found each of my guns has a different preference, and finding a load that works - whether that means accuracy, power, comfort, economy, or some combination thereof - is greatly satisfying.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    Yes, this ^ is important. When I work up loads for a rifle or pistol application, I'll take 5 to 10 different powder/bullet/primer combinations to the range with my chronograph to see what shoots the best. I've found each of my guns has a different preference, and finding a load that works - whether that means accuracy, power, comfort, economy, or some combination thereof - is greatly satisfying.
    quick question, did this mentality come with time after reloading or the sole aspect that got you into reloading?

I ask this becuase at the moment i dont have that mentality for my reasoning to reload, but can see it coming into play down the road (being that im a new reloader)

(Chester County)

If economics is your driving force, you might consider getting into casting bullets. You will get approximately 38 bullets per pound of casting metal. Of course you would have to buy additional equipment such as a bullet sizer and supplies such as lubricant or you can look for a Lee tumble lubricated bullet. If you decide to include a gas check you will have to add three cents more.

There are also ways of minimizing your metal cost if you have access to wheel weights or an indoor range cleanout refuse. You can even resort to "mining" the earthen backstops and outdoor ranges. If you want to be a purist about it you would need a hardness tester and a supply of additive metals such as tin and antimony.

Regardless of whether you just reload or cast & reload BE WARNED – both take on a life of their own. They become a labor of love and are economical only if you consider your time as free labor.
    Last edited by tl_3237; February 17th, 2014 at 03:40 PM.
    IANAL

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    quick question, did this mentality come with time after reloading or the sole aspect that got you into reloading?

I ask this becuase at the moment i dont have that mentality for my reasoning to reload, but can see it coming into play down the road (being that im a new reloader)
    I can tell you that I started just for cost factors. Now that I reload, I love working up batches of one thing or another for special purposes. You want to look real good, work out a min load for your gun to cycle well and shoot it with about the same recoil as a .22lr

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Regardless of whether you just reload or cast & reload BE WARNED – both take on a life of their own. They become a labor of love and economical only if you consider you time as free labor.
    +1 on that. Reloading is its own hobby that becomes just as enjoyable as the shooting itself

(Lehigh County)

Keep in mind that reloading; although cheaper per round than buying new.
    You most likely will find yourself shooting A LOT more.
    Which will defeat any cost savings you may have expected.

I don't reload; yet.
    But that is what I've been told by the instructors in my NRA reloading class, by friends who reload, and by various sources on the Internet.
    --ET

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast