Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: AK Build Party in Philadelphia

I know where still talking about it but I'd like sometime in August. I want one of those Henderson Defense 80% lowers and they won't be in stock for a few more weeks.

http://www.hendersondefense.com/stor...ver-16p362.htm

(Bucks County)

Subscribing. I want to do an ak build. I have a friend with a drill press I can ask if he wants to build one too. For 80% receivers, we would need a spot welder too.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Montgomery County)

Heat treating only really has to be done around the pin holes and that is not nearly as involved as people think. Heat the steel to red hot. Quench. Re-heat to straw. Naturally cool. Done. I do not believe the whole thing has to be heat treated at least from what I have been reading and watching.

As far as spot welding I was wondering if anyone has heard of someone plug welding instead (only because I have a mig welder) since that only really involves a small hole which is welded through.

Quote Originally Posted by dgreene View Post
    Heat treating only really has to be done around the pin holes and that is not nearly as involved as people think. Heat the steel to red hot. Quench. Re-heat to straw. Naturally cool. Done. I do not believe the whole thing has to be heat treated at least from what I have been reading and watching.

As far as spot welding I was wondering if anyone has heard of someone plug welding instead (only because I have a mig welder) since that only really involves a small hole which is welded through.
    plug welding can be done (I did my first ones that way) BUT it can be a PITA it is realy easy to warp the reciever while plug welding. if you drill too small of a hole you wont get penetration on the rail before the hole fills up, too big and you put too much heat in the reciever and warp it. if you realy want to build one go to ak files and ask around Im sure there are afew in the philly area with the correct tools.

(Bucks County)

i'm sure we can rent/find a spot welder easily. i asked my friend's dad about spot welding and he said "it was easy stuff" . i also asked him if he wanted to join the party, but he is working on bigger projects now (currently building a dunk tank... some of you might have met him if you are eagles fans. he drives an eagles helmet car to games). his daughter might want to join the party. she loves going to the range and would probially love to show her dear old dad that she is a trip off the old block.

gunlawyer... could a husband/wife team work on it together and it still be legal considering we can transfer handguns between the two of us interchangebly as per pa law. if we were to do this in august, i would prefer early august. my wife is due for our first baby on the 19th. if this is legal doing a husband/wife project, she would want to do it and maybe meet up with our friend for some "ak girl time" some time after the project is complete.

i would want us to make the location somewhere near a range that offers rifle so we can test our guns after. anyone live near classic pistol in southampton or live near and/or members of langhorne rod and gun (holmeburg's rifle rules aren't ak friendly)
    not sure if spag does rifles on their range.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgreene View Post

80% polish blanks require complete heat treat flats can be spot treated at holes. You can purchase heat treated blanks from Childers guns website he's in wv and he also sells completed FFL required shipping complete receivers also now, haven't used one but people say their good 100% receiver

(Luzerne County)

I have a drill press, but not the right milling bits yet. August sounds good to me also.

(Philadelphia County)

So it looks like this plan is coming together! But we need to organize everyone and everything. So if you can provide either space, a welder, a drill press or anything else, send me a private message and I'll organize the rest and we'll set a date. Awesome!

Hi new guy here yes its my 1st post also. I am a machinist by trade and I also have a nice machine shop. I am willing to host a build party if you guys are willing to provide the tooling,jigs and whatever but we must have a knowledgeable ak guy here. I have a ak74 parts kit , flat , and the rivits. I also have a new barrel. I would love to have someone please teach me so I can teach others

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345