Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: AK Build Party in Philadelphia

I had always thought that as of recently, 80% build parties were deemed illegal by the ATF

Could you turn your 80% into a 100% and proceed with a legal build party?

I have a serialized complete receiver and am interested in a build party.
    I would need some help with the drilling involved.

I can bring along my 12 Ton shop press. If someone brings their drill press, someone else brings their riveting tools, and someone additional brings experience, we've got a build party.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Everyone purchases an 80% receiver. Not a crime.

Joe provides a drill press and drills and jig.

Everyone does their own drilling using a borrowed drill press and jig.

Joe isn't manufacturing - he's just loaning his tools to someone.
    This...have a good time building

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    absolutely untrue.

you may make a firearm for your personal use. you may sell or gift it without restriction at any time thereafter if you lose interest in it or experience economic need or any other circumstance that causes you to decide to sell/gift it.

ATF acknowledges that you do not legally need to serialize any gun that you build (excepting NFA guns), but there is an opinion letter out from Sterling Nixon (chief firearms examiner for ATF) that says that you must serialize and maker mark "before it enters the stream of interstate commerce". this is an opinion letter, not black letter statutory law, or even CFR, so read it any way you like.
    Ok so after doing some reading AND seeing GunLawyers post I'm going to say that this is correct and I was wrong.

I took the terms of the law as never being able to transfer or sell instead of intent to transfer or sell.

I personally would never transfer a homebuilt because of liability as stated above

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogpupkus View Post
    I had always thought that as of recently, 80% build parties were deemed illegal by the ATF

Could you turn your 80% into a 100% and proceed with a legal build party?
    no reason you couldn't.

(Philadelphia County)

Ok so now that the legalities are out of the way, is anyone interested in having a build party? I really want to build out one of these receivers just to say I did it myself. Again, I'm open to any suggestions, I would have no problem hosting it myself, though I don't believe I have all of the necessary machinery to do so. But I could buy all of it if necessary and maybe if you're coming you could throw some money my way to help offset the cost of the tools. Or someone who has the right tools could host and we could work something out the other way - a tool rental fee. Let me be absolutely clear, I'm not looking to have anyone help or build this for me, I just thought it would be fun and helpful to have a group together with the same goals.

(Bucks County)

are you bending AKs from flats and need a bending jig?

Quote Originally Posted by dschemanski View Post
    Ok so now that the legalities are out of the way, is anyone interested in having a build party? I really want to build out one of these receivers just to say I did it myself. Again, I'm open to any suggestions, I would have no problem hosting it myself, though I don't believe I have all of the necessary machinery to do so. But I could buy all of it if necessary and maybe if you're coming you could throw some money my way to help offset the cost of the tools. Or someone who has the right tools could host and we could work something out the other way - a tool rental fee. Let me be absolutely clear, I'm not looking to have anyone help or build this for me, I just thought it would be fun and helpful to have a group together with the same goals.
    I'm interested. I'll contribute my 12-Ton shop press and some experience, but that's kinda really all I have to offer. I can toss some cash around should you want to balance out buying riveting tools and what not.

I need someone who is good with machining, I'm nervous about drilling my barrel pins. I also need my receiver trunnion holes drilled.

What's your timeline for organizing this? I need to get my receiver and bbl parkerized first.

(Bucks County)

Here's a question.........You go to a build party to make your receiver. Black helicopters start circling and a flash bang is thrown thru the door. Your busted........

Who is busted? The individuals making their receiver or the person doing it for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Here's a question.........You go to a build party to make your receiver. Black helicopters start circling and a flash bang is thrown thru the door. Your busted........

Who is busted? The individuals making their receiver or the person doing it for them?
    just do the work yourself and there are no worries.

(Northampton County)

As long as you do everything legally no worries.

As to the paranoia questions. Why not record the event via web cam or similar if you are worried.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast