Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Philadelphia Concealed Carry Stats

ISTR that somewhere on the PSP site they post the number of permits issued by county along with the number of revokations. I was poking around a couple of years ago and found it, but don't know if they still have it. IIRC you can run your own queries and that may be how I found it. Also, IIRC, the number of revoked permits were extraordinarily high in Philadelphia County compared to the rest of the state.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by glock19xdsc View Post
    Also, IIRC, the number of revoked permits were extraordinarily high in Philadelphia County compared to the rest of the state.
    Statistically this doesn't necessarily mean anything, as there's also a higher population density in Philadelphia. It only means something if the ratio of revokations in comparison to the rest of the state is higher than the ratio of the population (or pop. density) of the county to the population (or pop. density) of the rest of the state.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by glock19xdsc View Post
    Also, IIRC, the number of revoked permits were extraordinarily high in Philadelphia County compared to the rest of the state.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that was somehow related to the fact that Philadelphia considers having a gun stolen from you a valid reason to revoke your permit. I'm sure there are other equally asinine reasons.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Indiana County)

Philadelphia statistics:

2003 - 6,289 LTCFs issued, 586 revocations
    2004 - 4,566 LTCFs issued, revocations not listed
    2005 - 4,205 LTCFs issued, revocations not listed

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The PA State Police posts a report of the number of licenses issued per authority.

2005's : http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/lib/p...ort_-_2005.pdf

Firearms report page w/previous years(2006 has been posted yet):
    http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/b...BCOB=0&C=69774

Great find knight, I'm going through some of this now to see what exactly we can pull from these reports and then I'm going to throw them into an excel sheet to do some analysis.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Chester County)

Wow! That's great info. I'm stunned they publish it. Especially the stuff about purchase transactions and denials. Great find.

Dan: This info is a perfect start for a Right to Know inquiry w/respect to (i) reason for revocation in each instance; (ii) criteria used by PPD for starting a revocation proceeding; (iii) reasons for reversal; and (iv) and narrowly tailoring an inquiry in general so they don't respond with a document dump or object that the request is overbroad. That the PSP tracks this stuff well enough to generate that kind of a summary is really fantastic -- it precludes them from contending that they can't assemble the information -- it's already done. What we want is probably sitting in a nice, neat file in Harrisburg. The PSP even has its own guidelines for Right to Know filings, so we don't have to deal with admin nonsense from PPD, just fill out the form letter and see what they do.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Philadelphia County)

After looking through these reports I can say they are a virtual gold mine of information. So far I've imported the data from 2003-2005 into an excel sheet so that I can calculate all sorts of neat percentages.

I will make this sheet available to everyone once I have it all compiled.

Eventually I will move all of this data into our database which will allow us to program all sorts of neat statistics calculations with pretty graphs. This information could in theory be made public.

Here's some interesting stats:

In 2003 Philadelphia County was responsible for 40% of all permit revocations state-wide and had a 9% revocation rate.
    In 2004 Philadelphia County was responsible for 36% of all permit revocations state-wide and had a 12% revocation rate.

In 2003 Allegheny County had 11,326 permits and revoked 53 (0.46% revokation rate) for 3.7% of all revocations state-wide.
    In 2004 Allegheny County had 10,081 permits and revoked 94 (0.91% revokation rate) for 6.01% of all revocations state-wide.

In 2003 Forest County had 0 handgun sales.

There's probably a lot more interesting numbers in here.
    Last edited by danp; January 19th, 2007 at 11:57 AM.

(Erie County)

I'd love to see the total numbers since these are only issued permits.....

That isn't a surprise though that Philly revokes the most.....

As of 2000, the population is 4946 making it the least populous county in the state.
    Forest County

(Philadelphia County)

If you guys have ever been down to the issuing office (2nd floor 990 spring garden street) you would know why they revoke so many permits.

Not many upstanding individuals.....and you over hear a lot of "Yea but that case was dropped cuz, the po-leece didn't have enough evidence...yea but that was brought down to only a misdemeanor..."

The same conversations can be heard at the local gun shops regarding the back ground check, "Okay so like, will they REALLY find out? Yea, but I mean REALLY, whats the chances of them finding out?" before the gun shop clerk tells them politely to leave.

I will say, even with no record and being in the Armed Forces (a background check in and of itself) I was nervous that they would dig up some BS reason to revoke my application...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12