Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Armed citizen stops mass shooting in Winnemucca, Nevada

From www.volokh.com/posts/1212034090.shtml:
    On Sunday May 25, 2008 at approximately 2:30 a.m. the Winnemucca Police Department was dispatched to the Players Bar and Grill .... There were approximately 300 patrons in and around the bar....

The officers on scene discovered three adult males who had died from obvious gunshot wounds. Two additional gunshot victims were also located[, treated, and released from the hospital]....

The ... investigation lead detectives to believe that [Ernesto Fuentes] Villagomez entered the bar and at some point began firing multiple rounds. At least two of these rounds struck and killed the other two decedents, Jose Torres age, 20 and his brother Margarito Torres, age 19 both of Winnemucca. At some point during this shooting spree Villagomez allegedly stopped and according to witnesses reloaded his high capacity handgun and began shooting again.

It was at this point that ... [a 48-year-old Reno man] produced a concealed handgun and proceeded to fire upon Villagomez who succumbed to his wounds. The Reno resident was in possession of a valid Concealed Carry Permit issued through the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office.... [T]he shooting of Villagomez by the Reno man was [concluded to be] a justifiable homicide ....

The investigation is currently pursuing a lead that indicates that this event may have been the result of a long standing feud between several families....

(Chester County)

Default Re: Armed citizen stops mass shooting in Winnemucca, Nevada

First off what where the minors doing in a bar that late at night. Kudos to the guy who sent that mad man to hell!!!!!!! We carry everywhere cause we never know where trouble might strike and that is just proof positive.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

Memorial day weekend party.......yeah, it was at a bar and grill, how many places serve food also have bars? Lots that I know of. Minors are under the age of 18. From the day you turn 18 you are a legal adult. You may not be able to legally drink for the next 3 years and 364 days, but you're still an adult. You could actually enlist in the military at age 17 and be done with your active duty hitch long before you turn 21.

Good shooting by the good guy.
    Last edited by Dave in PA; May 29th, 2008 at 12:49 PM.

(Chester County)

Isn't there a law or is it just PA that no minor in a bar after 9pm. There are not many bar and grills that I know of that have their kitchen open after midnight also.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    Isn't there a law or is it just PA that no minor in a bar after 9pm. There are not many bar and grills that I know of that have their kitchen open after midnight also.
    I dont know if its law or regulation.. but generally 9pm is the latest for minors in PA.

But that took place in Nevada and they may have different laws regarding such things.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    a few states do have htat law, but most states on the west that are "Clubs" or "Bar and grill" allow "minors" in the establishment. i sayon the west coast because i know for fact out that way that is how it is. no clue about the easties... (i HATE this side...)
    This Space For Rent

(Perry County)

[a 48-year-old Reno man]
    Somebody get his address. I want to send him a box of ammo.

As horrifying as it must be to have to actually draw, fire and watch the bad guy slump over, it sounds like he did a damn fine job.

My thoughts to the two victims (may they RIP), their families and the un-named man. As for Villagomez, well, he's where he belongs. 6' under.
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

(Chester County)

You are correct the man is there more than likely enjoying himself. Then some crazed nut job comes in a ruins the day. He got what he deserved a serving of hot lead. I just pray that some day I never ever run into the situation in where I am forced to discharge my sidearm and end the life of anther human being. +1,000,000,000 to the armed civilians that save countless lives.

(Berks County)

Now the big question I have is "WHY IS THIS STORY NOT ALL OVER THE NEWS?"

Whenever there is a nut job shooting people they are talking about it for weeks but when a citizen stops one this is the first I'm hearing about it!

(Allegheny County)

Here is the actual news story... (Bold is mine)

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...D=200880526010

Winnemucca police statement on bar shootings

May 26, 2008

Statement from the Winnemucca Police Department:

On Sunday May 25, 2008 at approximately 2:30 a.m. the Winnemucca Police Department was dispatched to the Players Bar and Grill located at 1062 South Grass Valley Road on the report of numerous shots fired and multiple gunshot victims. A combined law enforcement team consisting of Officers from the Winnemucca Police Department and Deputies from the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office responded to the dispatch call and secured the scene. There were approximately 300 patrons in and around the bar. No shots were fired by law enforcement during the incident.

The officers on scene discovered three adult males who had died from obvious gunshot wounds. Two additional gunshot victims were also located. One of these victims, a 34 year old male, was transported to Humboldt General Hospital via private vehicle. The other victim, a 22 year old female, was transported via Humboldt County Ambulance. Both of these injured parties were treated and admitted to Humboldt General Hospital in “stable condition”. Both victims have now been released from the hospital.

The initial investigation indicated that there had been two separate shooters during the incident. One of the alleged shooters, Ernesto Fuentes Villagomez, age 30 of Winnemucca, was among the three men who were dead on arrival. The other was a 48 year old Reno man who was initially taken into custody at the scene as a person of interest.

The subsequent investigation lead detectives to believe that Villagomez entered the bar and at some point began firing multiple rounds. At least two of these rounds struck and killed the other two decedents, Jose Torres age, 20 and his brother Margarito Torres, age 19 both of Winnemucca. At some point during this shooting spree Villagomez allegedly stopped and according to witnesses reloaded his high capacity handgun and began shooting again.

It was at this point that the second shooter, the Reno resident, produced a concealed handgun and proceeded to fire upon Villagomez who succumbed to his wounds. The Reno resident was in possession of a valid Concealed Carry Permit issued through the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office.

After further investigation as well as ongoing discussions with Humboldt County District Attorney Russell Smith, the decision was made that the shooting of Villagomez by the Reno man was a justifiable homicide as outlined in Nevada Revised Statute 200.120 and 200.160. Because of this the Reno man was released from police custody.

Although the shooting occurred during the Runnamucca event weekend there is no evidence linking the incident to any rival motorcycle gangs or clubs. Additionally, each of the decedents and victims were all Winnemucca residents. The investigation is currently pursuing a lead that indicates that this event may have been the result of a long standing feud between several families. There have been no further acts of violence reported in relation to this incident.

The Winnemucca Police Department utilized the services of the Washoe County Crime Lab to assist with the processing of the crime scene. Additional support in the investigation was provided by the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office, the Department of Public Safety – Investigation and Highway Patrol Divisions, and the Humboldt County District Attorney’s Office.

So... he had time to empty one mag, RELOAD and then be shot by a CCW holder, and the police still hadn't shown up? I thought that the moment you called 911, the police magically appeared instantly! </sarcasm>

I think everyone needs to take the link for teh original news story and e-mail it to their local news outlets! If they aren't aware of it, let's make 'em aware!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast