Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default Dipping a toe in the 1911 waters

I'm a revolver guy at heart, even though we have a few pistols in the house. I didn't get the whole 1911 Thing. It always seems like they are fussy about ammo and parts not fitting properly, and to get one to work right you have to spend an arm and a leg. You know where this is going, don't you?

I've shot a few 1911s, either in .45 ACP or 9mm, and the trigger is sure nice on them, like a revolver. So, I start looking around and realize the prices can get out of hand in a hurry, so I set the idea aside. I had my heart set on a SA Range Officer for a bit; nice gun and more than I wanted to spend.

I found myself at the LGS the other day and saw a case full of 1911s in just about very flavor. Quick as a wink there are 10 different guns on the counter and Ol' Phil is in John Moses Browning overload. I quickly set aside everything over $700, no matter how nice, in the interest of domestic accord. (Way too cold to sleep in the barn these days.) The Taurus went back on principle, which left me with a Para Expert in SS and a Rock Island Tactical. The Para has the fiber optic front sight, but a gritty trigger. The RIA has good sights and a trigger like buttah.

So, with my valentine's blessing, I brought the RIA home. I figure for less than $450 I can't have gone too far wrong. Of all the discussion I've read about the Rock Island guns, the worst that has been said is they are made in the Phillipines.

I'm looking forward to breaking it in. Oh, and I'm NOT going to buy another 1911.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Dipping a toe in the 1911 waters

You will not be disappointed in the RIA ... They are fantastic for the price. My wife has 2 so far that she shoots in competition (IDPA and USPSA) and they have held up to whatever she has thrown at them. Accuracy is spot on too (meaning more accurate than we are). I'm also seeing more and more guys at the local matches shooting them. I guess for the price, it leaves some room for upgrades to make them exactly what they want

(Lancaster County)

The trigger is where it's at !

Nice choice - enjoy it and feed it a lot !

Cb

(York County)

in recent years philipine and turkish made 1911 have been known to have gritty triggers and unpolished actions that need some time with valve lapping compound and robust ball ammo. they are cheap for a reason, but frankly, i can say that the price of quality 1911 in recent years has been overinflated, in the same way that S&W 29 were overinflated after the dirty harry craze began. Americans are arming up, and they know and trust the 1911 platform, so they are buying it. in the 1980's there were just a few makers producing 1911, as the demand then was all for "wonder nines". these days everybody and their mother is marketing a 1911 pattern gun. hell, even ruger has one.

properly made, a 1911 is the most reliable gun you will ever have.

(Montgomery County)

I've mentioned this in other posts but I do believe RIAs give the best bang for the buck. The wife has both the Tactical and GI spec and we love shooting them. RIA customer support is very good if the need arises. Have fun with it.

I find that RIA haters only hate because they can't tell them apart from their more expensive Springfield GI's.

Congrats on a economically smart purchase. You can't go wrong with a RIA.

I will say, the 1911 bug really bites and there's not much out there for cures.They seem to populate. Get yourself a Colt one of these days should you decide to try the next price bracket

(Northampton County)

You will be happy with the rock island. I have had a lot of them come through my shop- and have shot many of them including the citadels and the turkish made 1911's . They all function well and are accurate shooters. I will be building 3 -two Tisas in 45 acp and a Citadel 9mm all for competition a little later this year. I also post photos here in the gun section . Enjoy your first 1911 get her out to the range and report back to us on how you did with her.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(York County)

For around 700 street price (900 msrp), metro-arms brought out their new MAC 1911 Bobcut, a decent quality bobtail 1911 available in blue and stainless.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...c-bobcut-1911/
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Delaware County)

I'm happy with my rock. I'm glad I paid a little extra for the tactical model.

(Berks County)

I have a RIA tactical for a year. Only changed the grips thus far. Sights are next. No internals seem to be needing replacement. Good piece for the price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast