Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: new resident to PA (German with green card)

IF you want shorter rifle options, consider a bull pup design (IE like a P90 or Tavor). Since SBR are defined by the length of the barrel, a design that starts the barrel closer (or within) the stock, allows you a much shorter rifle without needing a SBR (short barrel rifle) class 3 tax stamp.

Also, you need a LTCF to carry in a vehicle (which includes cars, bikes, horses).

Annoyingly, suppressors also require a tax stamp (class 3). My understanding is the ATF is taking about 9 months to process the paperwork (selling firearms to Mexican drug cartels has priority)
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Pike County)

Green card holders must provide proof of residency - like utility bills or bank statements for 3 last consequtive months. It doesn't go anywhere, the sales person just checks it visually and returns it to you. I usually do my firearms shopping at Tanners and I just login to my bank from my phone and pull 3 consequtive statements right on the screen.

Welcome to the land of free. It seems like you are going to like it here.
    Last edited by Metz; February 13th, 2014 at 08:03 PM.
    Je suis déplorable

(Delaware County)

I'm gonna be 'that guy'. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post
    ownership:
    individual: the item belongs to you, and you only. if you leave the house, wifey cannot have access to it. you are aloud to have your friends play with your cool new toy while you are there, close buy.
    trust: basically a piece of paper owns the item. you can have many users on a trust, as long as they are lawfully aloud to posses a firearm. you can will it to your kids when you pass away. you can go to hunting camp, take some toys with you, and still be able to have wifey be at home with a suppressed home protection firearm. the trust option IS changing. we are not sure how much of it is going to change, but it IS going to change.
    Aloud = out loud, audible, able to be heard.
    Allowed = permitted, i.e. I will allow you to carry that.

Buy = to purchase.
    By = near, in proximity.

Good info, though.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Green card holders must provide proof of residency - like utility bills or bank statements for 3 last consequtive months. It doesn't go anywhere, the sales person just checks it visually and returns it to you. I usually do my firearms shopping at Tanners and I just login to my bank from my phone and pull 3 consequtive statements right on the screen.

Welcome to the land of free. It seems like you are going to like it here.
    The requirement for green card holders to supply proof of residency the past 90 days was repealed in late 2012.

Currently:

an alien lawfully present in the United States acquiring a firearm will be subject to the same residency and proof of residency requirements that apply to U.S. citizens.
    That is to say:
    each transferee must present proof of residence in the State, in the form of a government-issued identification document (for example, a driver's license or State-issued identification card) containing the person's name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph.
    https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...arms-2011r-23p

27 CFR § 478.11 (state of residency)
    Last edited by tl_3237; February 14th, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
    IANAL

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    The requirement for green card holders to supply proof of residency the past 90 days was repealed in late 2012.
    Thanks for the good info.

Good luck, explaining it to the random FFL, who think they know the law better than you do.

I'm a green card holder and I purchased few guns last year. Every time I was requested to produce proof of residency. I guess for few more years we'll need to have a copy of the law on hand and that damn proof of residency just in case, until all the stubborn old fart FFLs will get the memo.
    Je suis déplorable

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    those along with suppressors are class 3 . i think you have to be a citizen to apply for a tax stamp for them .
    This is incorrect.

Q: If I’m a permanent resident alien (green card), can I own/possess NFA regulated items?
    A: Yes, so long as your status is current, you may own/possess NFA regulated items.
    Source: http://nevadaguntrustattorney.com/fr...ked-questions/

Discussion covered the topic here: http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...tizen-sbr.html

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Thanks for the good info.

Good luck, explaining it to the random FFL, who think they know the law better than you do.

I'm a green card holder and I purchased few guns last year. Every time I was requested to produce proof of residency. I guess for few more years we'll need to have a copy of the law on hand and that damn proof of residency just in case, until all the stubborn old fart FFLs will get the memo.
    Actually, "the stubborn old fart FFLs" had already gotten the memo.

One page 8 of the BATF FFL newsletter of November 2012 there is the following:

In addition they all received a heads up about the change being proposed and expedited in the BATF December 22, 2011 open letter.

If you are still encountering FFLs that are unaware of this changed regulation, might I suggest that you provide the above information so as to correct their ignorance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (34.3 KB, 166 views)
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Welcome to PA and to PAFOA

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    In all honesty a reputable gun store should be able to
    Guide you through the paper work. It's not difficult here in the free state of Pennsylvania. As long as you don't have any thing on your record it should be smooth sailing.

Welcome to the forum. Remember to help support the gun culture here in PA or we may end up with gun laws like in Europe. Attend rallies, write law makers, and buy firearms often.
    This is all true and great advice

(Venango County)

My family came from Germany. Clock makers in the southwest actually.

It looks like everyone covered your questions. But I want to welcome you stateside, and to PA.

If you are in my neck of the woods, get ahold of me. We can go out for a range trip.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast