Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Southeastern PA Gun Clubs: Lower Providence or New Holland??

I'm sure we have some members on here. Help me decide. Thanks!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Southeastern PA Gun Clubs: Lower Providence or New Holland??

If you've got cash to blow NHRP has a nice property. Though, Penn Dutch Sportsmen is just a couple minutes away and it much less expensive to join.

(Montgomery County)

I am a member of Lower prov and really like it there. It is a very active club that is highly focused on safety, but without some of the random rules of other clubs (like 5 rounds per mag, I never understood that one)

They offer many free clases and clinics to members, as well as paid NRA classes as well. I know that some people do not like the focus on safety, or that you cannot shoot until you qualify, but the basic qualifiers are easy (pistol 10 on paper at 10 yards, riffle 10 on paper at 100 yards), and if you cannot complete them you truly need the additional training to shoot better

(Montgomery County)

Depends what type of shooting do you want to do? Shoot archery??

If you are really into Rifle, New Holland is the club for you hands down.. They are a really nice rifle club that happens to allow pistols there. And they recently put in an archery course.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    Depends what type of shooting do you want to do? Shoot archery??

If you are really into Rifle, New Holland is the club for you hands down.. They are a really nice rifle club that happens to allow pistols there. And they recently put in an archery course.
    No archery for me. I'll probably do a 50/50 mix of rifle and pistol. LPRGC is only a 30 minute drive while NHRPC is an hour, so I'm likely to go to Lower Providence more often.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ursinuspip View Post
    I am a member of Lower prov and really like it there. It is a very active club that is highly focused on safety, but without some of the random rules of other clubs (like 5 rounds per mag, I never understood that one)

They offer many free clases and clinics to members, as well as paid NRA classes as well. I know that some people do not like the focus on safety, or that you cannot shoot until you qualify, but the basic qualifiers are easy (pistol 10 on paper at 10 yards, riffle 10 on paper at 100 yards), and if you cannot complete them you truly need the additional training to shoot better
    LPRGC has lots of really nice members that can and will help you with anything you want. However, they do have a few silly rules that I will try and get changed with the help of other members going through the proper steps. For example, you need to "qualify" for EVERYTHING. In addition, you have to qualify, just to qualify. Let me explain. If you want to shoot from the prone position, you need a special qualification. You can't even take that qualification unless you take a class or course like NRA rifle or Appleseed. Then, you must qualify by hitting a target 100 yards away from the standing, kneeling/sitting, and prone positions. 10 shots each. Ok, now you're qualified. Well, that's only good for one year. You must qualify EVERY year. I don't understand this at all. I can only guess that they do this for the older people that might not be able to handle a gun safely because of declining health.

Then, there are the qualifications for pistol. They have the same basic requirements in order to get qualified. You need to take a class, then qualify, to simply draw from the holster, or shoot while moving. Those are separate qualifications, BTW. This makes no sense, because you can show up at an IDPA or USPSA match as a non-member, complete stranger, and do all of this after paying the $20 match fee.

I'm all for safety, and don't have a real problem with most of the other rules like always keeping the muzzle down range, using a chamber flag, keeping away from all guns when the "man down range" sign is flipped, etc. However, why isn't it enough to simply be classified as Marksman or above (IDPA), for example, to get the drawing from holster and shooting on the move qualification? Seems to me, if a member is already active in IDPA and/or USPSA, they are already contributing to the club more than many members. Being classified and shooting at least a few matches a year should be sufficient for these qualifications (Holster and Action).

I love New Holland simply because it's a much larger club, and you can shoot rifle out to 500-600 yards, IIRC. You can only shoot at 100 yards at LPRGC. I would be a member at Hew Holland if it weren't an hours drive each way for me. I still might join just so I can shoot rifle at challenging distances/conditions.
    Last edited by 625; February 12th, 2014 at 12:51 PM.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Montgomery County)

Now if the politicians made us go through these drills to get a gun we'd be screaming. By the way, what is that gun club on 662 or thereabouts?
    Last edited by ForeverPA; February 12th, 2014 at 03:59 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Muld3r View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

No archery for me. I'll probably do a 50/50 mix of rifle and pistol. LPRGC is only a 30 minute drive while NHRPC is an hour, so I'm likely to go to Lower Providence more often.
    I am a member at New Holland and have been for 4 years. The place is big and offers a lot of variety. Long range out to 637 yds. A new 100 yd range that is multi-use. Pistol pits with steel plates. Archery as someone else mentioned. It is an hour away for me as well, but I take the back way and really enjoy the ride out. The members are friendly and knowledgable. I have taken a few courses from Freddy and learned a lot. To bad they don't allow 50's at NH, I would be there more often.

(Delaware County)

Thanks all.