Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Few OC & CC questions

I was curious about this as I didn't really see the topic covered in some of the posts or explanations I read here and I'm about to start carrying once I get a damn holster....

CC-I know this means not to be seen in open view, but does it also mean that people should not be able to see an outline of your gun or holster through the shirt you're wearing? When I tried on the stock XD holster the other night, you couldn't see any of the gun/holster physically, but you could visually tell what was under the shirt.

OC-I'm assuming that the gun has to be fully seen, meaning no shirt covering the gun when you OC, but I'm not sure and want to clear this up before I decide to OC.

I appreciate any help,
    -Andrew
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Few OC & CC questions

As long as you have a LTCF you're good either way. Read the stickies at the top of the "Concealed and Open Carry" page for more info.

Congratulations.

(Cumberland County)

The law does not define OC, the assumption would be that there is no attempt to conceal the gun, however a holstered weapon would presumably not qualify as the LEO carry in holsters and that is obviously not concealed. Check out www.paopencarry.org

Hope that helps...I'm in Bucks County, if you want to shoot sometime i'm not far away...

Check out Blackhawk Serpa holsters for a GREAT OC holster...I really like mine!!!!
    MOLON LABE

(Monroe County)

It really depends on what you want to do.. I mean I suppose conceal would mean no printing but generally I would say it does not matter if you print or not. One of the nice things about PA being an Open Carry state is that it really does not matter if you print. I am sure I print all the time. I have only really CC'd but I never deep conceal.

As far as OC goes, If you don't have a LTCF than I would say it needs to be out in the open and nothing covering it. However, beings that you have a LTCF (noticed your other thread) if your shirt or jacket covers it a little it really does not matter.

I guess all in all... Just carry it, I doubt many people will notice it one way or the other.

Just my opinion I am sure others will chime in

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHands View Post
    The law does not define OC, the assumption would be that there is no attempt to conceal the gun, however a holstered weapon would presumably not qualify as the LEO carry in holsters and that is obviously not concealed. Check out www.paopencarry.org

Hope that helps...I'm in Bucks County, if you want to shoot sometime i'm not far away...

Check out Blackhawk Serpa holsters for a GREAT OC holster...I really like mine!!!!
    I was looking at the Serpa as a suggested holster by a few other members of the board in my paddle holster Q&A topic. I am probably going to go with the Serpa since I wasn't clear on the whole OC thing with PA until like today. I wasn't aware that it was in fact legal to OC in PA so a concealment holster isn't as big of a concern as it was before.

As far as meeting up with you to shoot, I'm not able to shoot my handgun for another week or so as I'm still recovering from double hand surgery and I'd like to go shooting alone at least 1X before I shoot with anyone to knock the rust off since I haven't shot in over 4 months, test out my newly installed sights and try some new grip and body position techniques.. =P Where exactly in Bucks Co. do you reside? I've shot at Target World http://www.targetworldinc.com/ a bunch of times if you'd like to meet up there in say 2-3 weeks.

For the other replies-I appreciate it!!
    Last edited by andrewjs18; May 29th, 2008 at 12:51 AM.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    I was curious about this as I didn't really see the topic covered in some of the posts or explanations I read here and I'm about to start carrying once I get a damn holster....

CC-I know this means not to be seen in open view, but does it also mean that people should not be able to see an outline of your gun or holster through the shirt you're wearing? When I tried on the stock XD holster the other night, you couldn't see any of the gun/holster physically, but you could visually tell what was under the shirt.

OC-I'm assuming that the gun has to be fully seen, meaning no shirt covering the gun when you OC, but I'm not sure and want to clear this up before I decide to OC.

I appreciate any help,
    -Andrew

Concealed carry with a LTCF doesn't mean that its required to be concealed. It means you are ALLOWED to carry concealed.

As long as you have the LTCF you can have a part visible, an outline, or nothing at all.

Open carry it must be visible with no attempt to conceal it.

Keep in mind that you can not OC in your car. If you have no LTCF you must secure the weapon appropriately.
    Last edited by skyjerk; May 29th, 2008 at 08:21 AM.

(York County)

Concealed carry also means you are able to transport your firearms in your vehicles anywhere w/o breaking the law, ie. not just transporting from place of purchase, to and from work or to and from the shooting range.
    C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LowFlyer View Post
    Concealed carry also means you are able to transport your firearms in your vehicles anywhere w/o breaking the law, ie. not just transporting from place of purchase, to and from work or to and from the shooting range.
    More specifically, having a LTCF allows you to do this. I left this distinction out of my own post above as well, but have edited it to
    make it more clear.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by skyjerk View Post
    If you have no LTCF you must secure the weapon appropriately.
    It's more then just securing the weapon properly... you must also meet the exemptions in the law.

In short, you cannot have your weapon in or on a vehicle without a LTCF unless you are returning from the place of purchase or going directly to and directly back from a gunsmith, range, competition, etc.

The complete list is in the UFA.

(Butler County)

If you *have* to open carry for lack of a LTCF..... DONT mess up. If you shirt even falls over it, you are breaking a very serious law.

Dont end up in my boat having to prove you qualify under another exemption. Its a pain in the ass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast