Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Dilemma

(Allegheny County)

Unhappy Dilemma

I never owned revolver before so I picked up one of those Rock Island 200m 38 specials. Went to the range Friday to try it out. When I rapid fired it, after three shots you can't pull the trigger anymore. If you cock the hammer you can then pull the trigger and it will work. Tried it three times and got the same results. My question is has anybody ever heard of something like this before. Should I waste another box of ammo on it or zip off a note to the manufacturer. All input welcomed.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Dilemma

Rapid fire like not takig aim after each shot? Or just pulling the trigger as fast as you can? Try a quick YouTube search for "rapid fire revolver". That should show you how they should behave under the speed you're attempting.

I've never tried a "cylinder dump" always left time for aiming. Sounds like you have a timing issue/ lockup issue.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    I never owned revolver before so I picked up one of those Rock Island 200m 38 specials. Went to the range Friday to try it out. When I rapid fired it, after three shots you can't pull the trigger anymore.
    If it only happens in rapid fire, my first guess would be you're basically short stroking it—if you don't let the trigger all the way out when you're firing DA, the cylinder rotates but the hammer doesn't reset and the gun basically locks up.

Quote Originally Posted by LGO View Post
    If it only happens in rapid fire, my first guess would be you're basically short stroking it—if you don't let the trigger all the way out when you're firing DA, the cylinder rotates but the hammer doesn't reset and the gun basically locks up.
    I agree you are short stroking the Trigger! Slow down to a pace where the Revolver will keep up. Remember it's not a Semi Auto.....
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(York County)

Partly your problem is likely quality control as well. Rock Island uses Armscor made guns from the Phillipines. I think these .38s are essentially a copy of the old Colt PP or OP revolvers and that is a design that was known for not being as forgiving on top of all that.

(Northampton County)

Short stroke. Try again. Slow down a bit. Shooting wheelguns is different than semis in terms of trigger feel.

My dad has an M200. It'll run quick if you shoot it right.
    Good gun for the money, accurate and tighter than a Taurus for half the price.
    Parkerized finish is a bit ugly but I kinda like it like that. Looks utilitarian to me.

I've seen this on one of these about 3-4 years ago Army/Navy in Whitehall had one and I tried to dry fire it and it did the same thing. Don't know what this is worth though...