Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default New guy in the area

Hey everyone, figured I would introduce myself. My names Aaron and I am a student at PSU. I just moved out here last fall from Hazleton. Still getting use to the area and trying to find what shops are the best to go to if anyone has suggestions. I've been reading here for a while now just didn't see a need to register until now.

Unfortunately the first 19 years or so of my life I was unable to have firearms in the house but now living on my own at school I can start my collection. I've hunted since I was 13 with my uncle but besides that haven't been around firearms much besides that.

I already have my first gun on layaway at a shop in Pittston, an xd45 4", I picked up used for a steal. I'm currently looking for a hunting rifle but can't figure out quite what I want. Before next deer season I would like a .44 mag revolver for pushes.

Other than that I just figured Id stop by and say Hi
    Stupid kills. (But not often enough to make a real improvement.)

(Centre County)

Default Re: New guy in the area

Welcome, plenty of good places to shoot and shop, if you dont mind traveling a little. A ton of great info on this site. I would advise you to stay away from "hunters warehouse" in Bellefonte.
    DEEDS NOT WORDS..GFY!!

(Centre County)

I've stopped their, he beat anyones prices on new guns but seemed really sketchy. I liked belding and mull but their prices were a bit higher than most places. Noll's gun shop was very overpriced and it seemed like I was an inconvenience to be in the store. Grices had a nice inventory but were very busy and wouldn't even let me handle new rifles, im suspecting due to being younger.

(Mifflin County)

When you figure out what you want get in touch with Ron -XRingshooter- he can get it for you or you can have it shipped to him. Always a great guy to deal with! (Y)

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Welcome Aaron!

Belding and Mull's prices are usually pretty reasonable, at least that has been my experience. Grice is much less crowded during weekdays and its service gets better therefore. Many people on this board complain about Grice's service. But I can't say that I have any complaint -- just avoid their three yearly big sales weekends (Labor Day, Shooter's Sale in January, and the Anniversary Sale in March). While in Clearfield, you should also check out Bob's Army and Navy store, just a few blocks away from Grice. Its everyday prices on hunting rifles are slightly cheaper than Grice's, and it sells mil surplus firearms. Another place you might want to check out is the Cox's Gun Shop in Millheim (several more miles down Rt 45 from Noll's). It is a nice out-of-the-way place with a surprising diverse selection of firearms in stock. The service is good, and it sells some mil surplus firearms and ammo as well.

(Centre County)

I did like belding and mull mainly because one of the employees took nearly an hour of his time to help me better understand some of the guns I was interested in even though he was aware I wouldn't be making any purchases that day. I'd gladly pay a bit more there just do to this. I did end up at Grices during their shooters sale so maybe that was my problem, still not sure why I was not allowed to handle the long guns though. I checked out Bobs and ended up buying a few mil surplus things and their customer service was pretty good along with their prices. I think I tried cox's but they were closed for some odd reason the day I went.

On a side note, I stopped at Sportsmans liquidators in state college last night and they are closing. Might be worth a trip if your local, some really good deals (40-70% off already low wholesale prices)on hunting clothes and fishing gear. They have a nice selection of rifle scopes and a small bit of ammo left also. They close at the end of the month.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mark61 View Post
    When you figure out what you want get in touch with Ron -XRingshooter- he can get it for you or you can have it shipped to him. Always a great guy to deal with! (Y)
    I didn't even see your reply, thanks for the info. Once I decide ill definitively give him a message. Does he have a shop or something?

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Carry View Post
    I didn't even see your reply, thanks for the info. Once I decide ill definitively give him a message. Does he have a shop or something?
    Ron is a gunsmith operates out of his home in Lemont. As far as firearms go, he doesn't have a store that keeps stock on hand. But as a FFL holder he offers transferring service for online purchase at a very reasonable rate. He can also special order items for you from distributors.
    Last edited by Fortytwo; February 9th, 2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: fixing a typo

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Carry View Post

<snip>...

I already have my first gun on layaway at a shop in Pittston, an xd45 4", I picked up used for a steal.

...<snip>
    If the shop in Pittston is Advanced Arms, you're going to travel far and wide to find better prices/customer service. Chris and Mary are my go to LGS. If I want something, they'll order it if they don't have it in stock.

A year or so ago, I did a private transfer at a shop in Bellefonte. I forget the name of the place. It seemed like a junk store that had a gun counter in the back. A friend told me about the place.
    Last edited by Democrat Gun Owner; February 10th, 2014 at 11:11 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    Ron is a gunsmith operates out of his home in Lemont. As far as firearms go, he doesn't have a store that keeps stock on hand. But as a FFL holder he offers transferring service for online purchase at a very reasonable rate. He can also special order items for you from distributors.
    Thanks for the info, im sure it'll be useful when I decide on what I want.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast