Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ordered Two Extra Mags For MY Firestar .45

I just ordered two extra magazines for my Firestar .45. The factory magazine is indexed for 6 rounds ( one in the pipe ). The rig I carry ( two extra mag pouches ) holds the factory magazine - with about 1 1/2 extra inches. So I figured the 7 round aftermarket magazines will fit. I thought the 8 round may have been a bit much. Any way - from Promag. Anyone ever purchased one of their magazines? I know tweaking may be in order; but the design seems solid. My Firestar is a very compact .45, and has always been very very dependable ( never a hang up ). Problem is, the grip is just a tiny bit short for my hand ( I'm comfortable with it ); but the extra round mag will add to the length of the grip.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Ordered Two Extra Mags For MY Firestar .45

I hate to say this but Promags are not known for reliability or durability. Yours may or may not work fine but I would hesitate to use one anywhere but at the range. At the very least I would have the Promag as the backup rather than the primary.

As far as the grip being too short are there any base plates available for your stock magazine with a pinkey extension? I use those on my P11 and it makes a big difference.

I see there's a couple factory magazines available on ebay that have the factory extension but they're pricey.
    Last edited by Mooseman; February 9th, 2014 at 12:52 AM. Reason: further research

(Westmoreland County)

I have a Firestar in .40 S&W and the same issue with hand size. I got the extra cap mags from Promag prob 6-8 years ago and they have worked flawlessly. On the other hand though when I am carrying I use the factory mags for easier concealment. Glad to know there are others still using theses great little guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I hate to say this but Promags are not known for reliability or durability. Yours may or may not work fine but I would hesitate to use one anywhere but at the range. At the very least I would have the Promag as the backup rather than the primary.

As far as the grip being too short are there any base plates available for your stock magazine with a pinkey extension? I use those on my P11 and it makes a big difference.

I see there's a couple factory magazines available on ebay that have the factory extension but they're pricey.
    The only problem I ever had with aftermarket magazines has been corrected with minor adjustments. I'll run 20 or 30 rounds through the new magazines & I'll know what to do. But you do make a point on the back up thing. I have a 10 round Promag ( for the range ) man many rounds through it & never a problem. I don't know about other .45s; but the Firestar I have has a nicely polished ramp & has always fed well. Still ( bottom line ) regardless how well a semi auto is engineered, a revolver will always be more dependable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick41Mag View Post
    I have a Firestar in .40 S&W and the same issue with hand size. I got the extra cap mags from Promag prob 6-8 years ago and they have worked flawlessly. On the other hand though when I am carrying I use the factory mags for easier concealment. Glad to know there are others still using theses great little guns.
    The Firestar I have is heavy for a tiny .45. Helps with jump. Much little gun that makes much big hole. Just bought a BH Leather shoulder rig - still in the adjustment stage. When I opened the package, it looked like some 15th century hernia truss; but once fitted - very very comfortable.