Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default A question about 10mm

I don't own one and have only shot one once but I've always had a certain fascination with the round. I've heard that full power 10mm tends to beat up 1911 style hand guns. Is there any truth to that? How about polymer guns like the Glock 20?

Just for clarification, when I say full power I mean those in the middle of the spectrum, not the cream puff rounds nor the ye gods rounds.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: A question about 10mm

there was some problems with the first 1911 but those problems have been worked out.replace your recoil spring and buffet as they need it and you'll be fine.I have a colt delta elite and it's a blast to shoot and it's my everyday carry gun.crazywolf

(Lancaster County)

Naw, what he said ^. It is an awesome round. I liked my Colt DE more than my Glock 20 that's just me though.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by crazywolf View Post
    there was some problems with the first 1911 but those problems have been worked out.replace your recoil spring and buffet as they need it and you'll be fine.I have a colt delta elite and it's a blast to shoot and it's my everyday carry gun.crazywolf
    Damn dude, where'd you get one of those?
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I don't own one and have only shot one once but I've always had a certain fascination with the round. I've heard that full power 10mm tends to beat up 1911 style hand guns. Is there any truth to that? How about polymer guns like the Glock 20?

Just for clarification, when I say full power I mean those in the middle of the spectrum, not the cream puff rounds nor the ye gods rounds.
    Some early Deltas were lacking in case support as were some Glocks. Kimber's 10mm, also a 1911, is thought to be one of the strongest. The link below will give you a lot of pictures which will do a much better job of explaining it. The 10mm forum also has a lot of information on what works and what has shown some problems. Hope this helps.

http://10mm-firearms.com/10mm-semi-a...r-manufactuer/
    Last edited by saleen322; February 7th, 2014 at 10:41 PM.

(Clearfield County)

Here is my old 10mm. Had it for 20 years or so. I don't think of it as a target gun but this was 10 shots @ 25 yards so you can see they are pretty easy to shoot. This is one of my favorite loads, a 180 XTP @ 1252 fps. I also load a 210 cast bullet from 1000 fps to around 1120 depending what I want it for that shoots well.

(Centre County)

1911 tends to be less strong, due to some with rampless barrel Which provide no case support.

My RIA has ramped feed barrel and has been pretty damn decent
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Northumberland County)

I changed my Kimber Eclipse spring when I bought it, then every 3000 rounds there after, no science involved, springs are cheap. I did break an ejector once. My Kimber loves Winchester Silvertips 175gr. I have a few 10mm pistols and none of them have seen the use my Kimber has, and the ejector is the only issue I ever had with any of them. If you want to get into 10mm the S&W 610 is the best way into it, in my opinion, but not cheap, if you cannot find 10mm just load up some 40 S&W's with moon clips and off you go, and you can hunt with it! YMMV
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Beaver County)

Have a Kimber, Glock 29, and an old S&W 1006. All 3 are 10mm and used in IDPA along with regular target shooting. Have had the Glock for over 5 years and the Kimber for 2 and the S&W for 3 or 4 yeas now. No signs of wear on any of them. I don't shoot cream puff stuff but most rounds tend to be in the 1200-1400 FPS range. Have a few thousand through each. Love the 10mm round.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Mercer County)

I can only speak of my experiences with the Colts Delta Elites..when the 10mm Delta came out I was the first kid on my Block to order two Colts..

The Colts were the first of the Deltas offered to the public and I had to sent both back to Colt for frame modifications. The frame was subject to cracking and Colts official repair was to cut a piece of metal out of the frame and this solved that problem.

These Deltas were fed a diet of hot 10mm as the load I used then is the same load I use now the original Norma loading. I still carry one of these Deltas as EDC.

The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast