Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Purchasing a Long Gun in another state

I live in PA and, on occasion, travel to Ohio for business. This week I visited a shop in Cleveland that had a long gun (center fire rifle) I am interested in and will purchase when the gun fund is at the appropriate level. My question: What is involved with purchase of a rifle in another state, specifically Ohio? I know a pistol must be sent to my FFL, but is it the same for a rifle? Going through the FFL isn't a problem, I deal with a great guy here in Pittsburgh (http://www.firearmtransfers.net/).
    Any help is appreciated

(Washington County)

First you fill out the 4473. Then they run the check. Then you pay. Finally you take your gun and leave.

I've never purchased from Ohio specifically, but as far as federal law is concerned, the above is applicable.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

Default Re: Purchasing a Long Gun in another state

A number of states are crossover states for long guns. I live in WV and can and have purchased a long gun in KY, VA, and PA. It's a state by state issue.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    A number of states are crossover states for long guns. I live in WV and can and have purchased a long gun in KY, VA, and PA. It's a state by state issue.
    ^^^True.

I had to stop another salesman from allowing a PA resident walk out the door with a black powder rifle. The shop is in NJ.

(Lycoming County)

Face to face sales of long guns at an FFL dealer are legal in any state as long as they follow the laws of both states.

Prtinent part of US922:

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts

(b)It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—

(3)any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes
    As long as the long gun is legal in both OH and PA you just purchase as normal.

(Centre County)

^^^^^
    This is correct. The old laws about sales from contiguous states was changed years ago. As stated, any non prohibited person can buy a long arm from any FFL in any state as long as the purchase meets the laws of both the state where it is purchased and the purchasers state of residence.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, the posts answer my question. The rifle is a Ruger Mini-14 so the legality in both Ohio and PA is not an issue.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    FOPA 1986 revised the GCA 1968 to allow for long gun sales in any state to any resident of any other state, provided that no prohibitions exist in regard to the persons or other related statutes. prior to FOPA, under GCA68, you could only buy from contiguous states.