Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Legal age to fire a hand gun?

I saw an article online today about how officials in Iowa (I think it was Iowa) want to lower the age that someone can legally fire a hand gun from 14 to 12. Of course there were people they interviewed that were fine with that and some that weren't, blah, blah, blah.

This got me wondering though if there is such a law in PA. I know you have to be 21 to purchase and 18 to own if one is gifted to you but is there such a law against firing before a certain age in PA?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Legal age to fire a hand gun?

I know a local range has 13 as minimum age, but never heard of statute with any restriction.

Here's the statute from the reference library.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...earm-by-minor/

18 Pa.C.S. § 6110.1: Possession of firearm by minor

(a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.

(b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to a person under 18 years of age:
    (1) who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or an adult acting with the expressed consent of the minor's custodial parent or legal guardian and the minor is engaged in lawful activity, including safety training, lawful target shooting, engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or the firearm is unloaded and the minor is transporting it for a lawful purpose; or
    (2) who is lawfully hunting or trapping in accordance with 34 Pa.C.S. (relating to game).

(c) Responsibility of adult.--Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers or provides to the minor a firearm in violation of subsection (a) commits a felony of the third degree.

(d) Forfeiture.--Any firearm in the possession of a person under 18 years of age in violation of this section shall be promptly seized by the arresting law enforcement officer and upon conviction or adjudication of delinquency shall be forfeited or, if stolen, returned to the lawful owner
    Last edited by internet troll; February 6th, 2014 at 06:14 PM.

(Bucks County)

There you go.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Here's the statute from the reference library.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...earm-by-minor/
    Thanks for the info and thanks for the link. I didn't know that a reference section existed here.