Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Westmoreland County)

Default Westmoreland gunshop road trip

I wanted to get out before the weather turns nasty again, I started out at Johnson’s Gun depot south of Greensburg. I did find a BSA Bore site for $50.00 not a great deal but no one else had one.
    His prices on guns seemed a little high, he did have a large selection of both handguns and Rifles.

Next stop was Gander Mountain in Greensburg. No used guns, they did seem to be having a sale on a couple new Rifles, not anything worth a trip down for. They seemed to be pretty well stocked on most ammo, with the exception being 22LR, I did not see any. Also not much in the way of reloading supplies, I saw a few primers on the shelf.

Next was the Gun Vault very few used rifles he did have several used pistols. No great deals on anything I saw. Not much in the way of reloading supplies, he did have a few cans of powder, The price was a little high, His price for a can of IMR is $28.00.

Last stop was Bee’s in Saltsburg he was getting low on everything, I did get a can of IMR 4350 for $22.99 and a box of Hornady 7mm 154 grain bullets. I did hear Ken tell one guy he had 22LR ammo, I think he said they were about $2.50 for a box of 50. I would call first he said they were getting low on them.

I did also see nice metal Ammo cans at Gander and Johnson’s, Both places wanted just under $20.00 each for them.
    The Monroeville gun show had them for $15.00 each. The ones I saw today are in much better shape no rust.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Westmoreland gunshop road trip

And here all I did was post on the forum. I could have been your co-pilot!

Closest thing to a road trip for me has been the gun show.

(Westmoreland County)

If I make it through this next snow storm I may take you up on the offer, I need to make a trip down to Ace in Washington County, I have heard a lot of good about them on here. I would also like to get out to Grice in Clearfield, I have not been out there in a couple years, The car museum is worth the trip if nothing else.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    If I make it through this next snow storm I may take you up on the offer, I need to make a trip down to Ace in Washington County, I have heard a lot of good about them on here. I would also like to get out to Grice in Clearfield, I have not been out there in a couple years, The car museum is worth the trip if nothing else.
    Ace & Grice's, that's dangerous territory for me. Don't forget, if you're down at Ace, you're only 20 min from Cabela's.

What's the car museum?

(Allegheny County)

20 years in Pittsburgh and I think the only shops I've been to are:

Braverman's - Wilkinsburg
    Powell's - Penn Hills
    Verona Gun Safe - Verona
    Fazi Firearms - Plum? Penn Hills? Monroeville? (not really sure)
    Anthony Arms - West Mifflin

Of those, none really do anything for me that makes me want to go regularly.

Braverman's - WAY too cramped and I just never feel comfortable there. Any time I've gone in to ask if they carry some sort of shooting accessory, the answer is "No".

Powell's - I like Bill - always helpful, but his "only 2 days a week" is troublesome.

Verona Gun Safe - Meh. Always nice to see a new shop, but it's tiny and not my idea of a gun shop. I DO like that they have the used stuff out where it can be handled.

Fazi's - Wow. I live in a small house, and that shop would fit in my living room. I was there last year "early panic" and it looked like about 6 hunting rifles in a case and about 10 handguns. I have more ammo than they had on the shelf. Owner seemed nice, but it seemed like a place where you go tell him what you want and he orders it. I have no reason to go back.

Anthony Arms - Meh. I bought my first handgun there and paid their high price because the guy at the range was helpful and I appreciated it.
    Aside from that, I've been ignored any time I've been there like every other person who has ever been there. A nice place to go look at a large selection of new guns I guess.
    Haven't been there in years.

(Beaver County)

Man, you should have taken a detour out to Security and Military Depot in Indiana! I still make the two hour trip to shop their or just BS. Can't do it all the time, but seeing the permanent lay off in the near future... I might have some time (less shopping of course).

There was a group of people visiting shops on Saturday, and they mentioned Denny's. First time I ever heard of that place (not that I frequent that area, just pass through en route to Honesdale). I might want to stop now. I need gun/traveling friends. My fiance doesn't like long car trips.

I've never been to Ace's, and I wasn't stoked about my two visits to Grices. (not bad, just nothing for me at the time)

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    I recommend both Ace and Grices. I haven't been to the museum yet. if you go to Grices make sure to hit bobs army navy just down the street and dennys beer barrel pub for a burger and wings.

http://www.dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/

http://www.bobsarmynavy.com/