Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Remolding kydex

(Delaware County)

Default Remolding kydex

Hello all,

New question for the experts I currently carry an HK USP40C as my EDC and use an Old Faithful holster with a kydex shell. I have decided to include a Crimson Trace Railmaster laser sight (the only one compatible), but I can not find a kydex shell for the HK that will include the laser sight. I am playing around with the idea of remolding my current shell to accommodate the accessory.

My first thought is a hair dryer to warm up the spot where the laser will go and press it into place using the rest of the mold as a guide. Has anyone tried this before or have any suggestions for me?

Thanks as always

Will
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Remolding kydex

Quote Originally Posted by Will f View Post
    Hello all,

New question for the experts I currently carry an HK USP40C as my EDC and use an Old Faithful holster with a kydex shell. I have decided to include a Crimson Trace Railmaster laser sight (the only one compatible), but I can not find a kydex shell for the HK that will include the laser sight. I am playing around with the idea of remolding my current shell to accommodate the accessory.

My first thought is a hair dryer to warm up the spot where the laser will go and press it into place using the rest of the mold as a guide. Has anyone tried this before or have any suggestions for me?

Thanks as always

Will
    I don't think that'll work. You probably want to reheat the entire sheet of kydex. Or you can pony up 40 bucks and take a trip down to Philly and I know some guys that'll set you up with a nice, simple IWB kydex holster. OWB are 60.

https://www.facebook.com/CRTgear

(Bucks County)

You can adjust the retention, so if there is enough kydex to accommodate the new shape it should work. You need a heat gun though, a hair dryer is not hot enough.

See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9KNUKO_Bz8
    Politicians who fear the people seek to disarm them.

People who fear their government's intentions refuse to be disarmed.

(Westmoreland County)

Call Old Faithfull. I believe they will give you a new shell free of charge.

(Bucks County)

It will work, but it will not be pretty.

Why not see if the holster company will sell you or give you a new Kydex piece. I know COMP TAC sells just the Kydex pieces. So you can use the same holster backing with any handgun the make a Kydex piece for.

(Delaware County)

Touched base with Old Faithful and they say they do not have a mold for it, but also suggested the ole heat gun trick. I will post results when i can.

Will
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away

(Allegheny County)

black pointe tactical

(Allegheny County)

Kydex can be reheated and reformed, it's not a thermoset. Just use a heat gun, don't thin out the material to much, heat up a larger area.

(Lancaster County)

A heat gun is the way to go. Not a high end model that will over heat the kydex. Use the low setting with a constant back and forth motion and work slow. You can overheat the plastic surface making it real shiny. Its not a deal breaker but you want to heat it slow enough to heat soak the area through not just on the surface. Put some heat to it, pull away for a second and go back at it. Pays to be patient.

I would NOT recommend you heat the entire surface unless you want to remold the entire shell. Kydex when heated wants to go back to being a flat sheet and it can happen fast where it will just relax and loose all definition. It sounds like you just want to form the area around the add on.

If you can block off around the area you're heating to prevent heating the entire thing. I damp cloth would work. I would heat the area slowly and try inserting the UNLOADED gun with laser into the holster. As the kydex warms and relaxes it will let the gun slide into the holster fully. Once its fully inserted just press down around the area you heated to try and take some of the lasers definition. You just want it formed so it holds everything securely

I believe that the old faithful holsters have adjustable screws around all of the Kydex panel. I would back those off a couple turns (just enough to relax the tension on the panel) so that when the Kydex forms it will not stretch due to the tension of the screws and then you lose the ability to adjust the retention back into the holster.

Just go slow

Good luck
    <a href=http://vigitac.com target=_blank>http://vigitac.com</a>