Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default southern York county PD and OC...

Well I was at Freedom Armory tonight getting my FL carry permit application packet and having fingerprinting done, and the instructor was also the one fingerprinting, he is an officer with the Southern Regional PD. So I got up some courage and asked him what he and the dept he works for know about OC. He was well aware of it, but doesn't like it! He went on and on about how it is a public disturbance that scares people and yadda yadda, and cited an incident at the Shrewsbury carnival last year where a man went wearing a .357 in a shoulder holster OCing, and how people were scared and the usual sheeple stuff. The police told the man they didn't like he was doing it because of people complaining, and asked him to leave the carnival or cover it up. The man's stated reason for OCing according to this officer was that it's is 2A right. This officer goes on about "in this day and age" and "maybe if out west somewhere...". Now he was a nice guy and everything, just seems to not enjoy investigating "man with gun" calls.

I got a general answer to my question of how the local PD veiws OCing, at least this one officer's opinion, can't say if he represents the veiws of the police chief or SP. He also said something about the York county sheriff also frowns on OCing.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: southern York county PD and OC...

Sounds like you asked a question and got an answer.
    No signature required.

(Venango County)

The thing is, man with gun calls can be minimized at the 911 call center with some police training.

"Are there any other laws being broken, are they threatening anyone? etc."

Then explain to the caller it is not illegal to have an openly carried firearm.

"Watch the person if you want to and if they do anything illegal call us back immediately."

Problem resolved.

But I suspect the police, some being anti-gun for citizens, want to 'check it out' just in case. Then they want to take it out on the citizen who is doing nothing wrong for wasting their time (and not the caller?).

Why would the police not want someone to carry? Because, it would possibly reduce the need for police. They feel they are our special guardians. Though they are really the guardians of the Constitution.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Adams County)

Nah, I can't agree. I don't personally like OC just because if you are carrying a gun, and some drunk dip wants to start a fight, even if you are right, you'll get screwed by the civil courts. "Why were you carrying a gun openly?" "Were you looking for a fight?" Yadayadayada. I do believe, however, that ANY QUALIFIED PERSON should be allowed to carry a firearm concealed in any place. But I'm really not a fan of concealed carry. I do not speak for my department or any county agency. But that's one cop's opinion.

I don't believe that police are the special guardians for the public, because I am a very firm believer that "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away." We, as the police, cannot be everywhere at once, and a well-armed public is a good thing.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Yes, I had the feeling he was one of "those" type cops, though not a Jack Booter like the Dickson PD cops. He even said about OC that it will just make some criminal steal your gun from you and that OC actually instigates crime. I didn't want to get into it with him that the only such incident I have read about was some guy in VA who had it happen at like 4:30 am and the man was likley half asleep or something, and that's why the criminal was able to rob him. You are as a habit, develop to be in cond yellow while carrying period, OC or CC.

I have read that in some other OC states, notably in some areas of VA, the 911 dispatchers do in fact actually ask those detailed questions, and do not send police if it sounds like a normal acting OCer.

Also I was thinking " I wonder how many people around these sheeple are carrying concealed?- what would the panicky sheeple think of that?"

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Nah, I can't agree. I don't personally like OC just because if you are carrying a gun, and some drunk dip wants to start a fight, even if you are right, you'll get screwed by the civil courts. "Why were you carrying a gun openly?" "Were you looking for a fight?" Yadayadayada. I do believe, however, that ANY QUALIFIED PERSON should be allowed to carry a firearm concealed in any place. But I'm really not a fan of concealed carry. I do not speak for my department or any county agency. But that's one cop's opinion.

I don't believe that police are the special guardians for the public, because I am a very firm believer that "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away." We, as the police, cannot be everywhere at once, and a well-armed public is a good thing.
    Not speaking for all officers, mind you, just some mindsets seem to be that way.

I respect LE but I think the average citizen and LE need to really hammer the judicial system as that is where the breakdown lies. And this should include the prison and parole boards as well.

I was in the Army, not as MP but Intel., and it is suprising how many who serve, forget about the Constitution part of their oaths. I assume the same happens in police forces.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    He also said something about the York county sheriff also frowns on OCing.
    That would be correct!

2. Overt and unnecessary display of your firearm in public places can cause alarm to the public and may result in revocation of your permit.

C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

Really, they're just doing their job if someone calls...however...

It really should be a non issue...what if we called everytime we saw someone driving with a cell phone, or had a pocket knife clipped to their pants, or breaking some traffic law, or saying something we didn't like.

People are just scared because they haven't been told how to feel about it so it makes them uncomfortable.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post

People are just scared because they haven't been told how to feel about it so it makes them uncomfortable.
    I think they have been conditioned on how to feel and thats why they freak when they hear about or see a gun.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Monroe County)

the problem is many people today are conditioned to fear the moment they see a gun.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast