Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Just got a Browning Hi-Power

Just purchased an Israeli Surplus Belgian made Hi-Power from Cole Distributing in KY. Overall I am very happy with the BHP. The grip angle, heft & feel is similar to my Commander size 1911, trigger (and mag safety) is much worse than most 1911's and the grip is a little 'chunkier' than a 1911 (but not anywhere as bad as what it is on a Beretta).

I will eliminate the magazine safety and get a trigger job. Then I will have a gun that shoots & feels like a 1911, but, be in 9mm (along with the 15 round capacity that comes w/ shooting a 9mm). Are there many gunsmiths that can do a decent trigger job on a BHP in western PA, or, is this something that is specialized that I need to send my gun away for?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Just got a Browning Hi-Power

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Just purchased an Israeli Surplus Belgian made Hi-Power from Cole Distributing in KY. Overall I am very happy with the BHP. The grip angle, heft & feel is similar to my Commander size 1911, trigger (and mag safety) is much worse than most 1911's and the grip is a little 'chunkier' than a 1911 (but not anywhere as bad as what it is on a Beretta).

I will eliminate the magazine safety and get a trigger job. Then I will have a gun that shoots & feels like a 1911, but, be in 9mm (along with the 15 round capacity that comes w/ shooting a 9mm). Are there many gunsmiths that can do a decent trigger job on a BHP in western PA, or, is this something that is specialized that I need to send my gun away for?
    Cylinder & slide does the best BHP job in the country. Visit their website and take a look.

Pulling the mag. safety will do about half a trigger job and smoothing the engaging surfaces will finish it.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Cylinder & slide does the best BHP job in the country. Visit their website and take a look.
    Ask for their turn around time. They're not cheap, but they do great work on BHP's. It depends what you want the gun to be.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Pulling the mag. safety will do about half a trigger job and smoothing the engaging surfaces will finish it.

Yep, love my Hi Power and doing the work above made it a dream to shoot.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Pulling the mag. safety seems very easy & I will do myself. Is smoothing the engaging surfaces difficult? I am mechanically inclined but NOT a gunsmith.

(Butler County)

How is the crown on it? I had to get both of mine recrowned. Now they'll shoot minute of snuff can at 15 steps. IMHO one of the bestest pistols in the world.

(Allegheny County)

I have a HP with factory Pachmayr grips and the adj combat rear sight. One improvement that you can do yourself is install, a set of Pachmayr grips on the gun. Those grips make a huge difference in creating a very comfortable gun to shoot. The High Power is my favorite hand gun.

(Pike County)

Does Cole Distributing still have a web site? I know that they had one a few years ago but I can't find it now.
    A man who can't weld is like a woman who can't sew

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Pulling the mag. safety seems very easy & I will do myself. Is smoothing the engaging surfaces difficult? I am mechanically inclined but NOT a gunsmith.
    If you can detail strip it , you can smooth it up. Before you do try doing a poor boy trigger job, push the hammer forward while pulling the trigger. This will help mate the surfaces and remove some of the micro roughness. Do one and try the trigger as on some guns it goes very fast.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast