Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Inspecting a Pistol at the FFL Prior to a Accepting the Transfer

As someone who is new to purchasing firearms, how should one inspect a semi-automatic pistol prior to accepting the transfer? Do I rack the slide, check the mag release, etc. How much of an detailed inspection will the FFL allow? I know this may seen as simple questions, I just don't know what to look for. Your help is appreciated.
    I saw a similar thread, it didn't answer my questions.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Inspecting a Pistol at the FFL Prior to a Accepting the Transfer

Quote Originally Posted by MySelf View Post
    As someone who is new to purchasing firearms, how should one inspect a semi-automatic pistol prior to accepting the transfer? Do I rack the slide, check the mag release, etc. How much of an detailed inspection will the FFL allow? I know this may seen as simple questions, I just don't know what to look for. Your help is appreciated.
    I saw a similar thread, it didn't answer my questions.
    That will depend but any reputable one will either break it down for you, or allow you (most likely them do it, as to avoid you breaking it, etc if you dont know how)

Others will not at all, but ive learned those places and avoid them for other business practices as well, as you will soon learn as well i a msure..

each firearm will need to be looked at differently so if you have a firearm in mind, we can help you to what to look out for...

are you buying new or used that also makes a difference in what to look for

(Monroe County)

Are you talking about buying a gun online(gunbroker/buds/etc) or do you mean a gun in the case at the FFL?
    "If I had six hours to cut down a tree, I would take four hours sharpening my axe" Abraham Lincoln

(Berks County)

Easiest answer to this question can be learned from YouTube searches for "inspecting a used semi-auto" watch the first ten videos. Twice.

Good luck
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

Hokkmike Guest

If you are new to firearms please take an experienced friend with you.

If a seller detects that you are serious then they should allow you at the LEAST to work the action, inspect all moving parts, remove and reinsert the magazine, dry fire the gun (please ask) and hold it for fit and comfort. When I have zeroed in on a particular model and am relatively sure that I like it, the price, service, etc., at the store that I am, then in I will often ask for the owner to breakdown or field strip the weapon for me. This is not so critical for a pistol that is NIB.

My LGS will even let me shoot a used handgun at their range IF i purchase the round. That would be the MOST I would ever hope for. (This if I seem to be very serious about buying the gun) I try very hard not to abuse the privilege.

Hokkmike Guest

A seller should allow you at the LEAST to work the action, inspect all moving parts, remove and reinsert the magazine, dry fire the gun (please ask) and hold it for fit and comfort. When I have zeroed in on a particular model and am relatively sure that I like it, the price, service, etc., at the store that I am, then in I will often ask for the owner to breakdown or field strip the weapon for me. This is not so critical for a pistol that is NIB.

My LGS will even let me shoot a used handgun at their range IF I purchase the rounds. That would be the MOST I would ever hope for. (This if I seem to be very serious about buying the gun) I try very hard not to abuse the privilege.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post

If a seller detects that you are serious then they should allow you at the LEAST to work the action, inspect all moving parts, remove and reinsert the magazine, dry fire the gun (please ask) and hold it for fit and comfort. When I have zeroed in on a particular model and am relatively sure that I like it, the price, service, etc., at the store that I am, then in I will often ask for the owner to breakdown or field strip the weapon for me. This is not so critical for a pistol that is NIB.

My LGS will even let me shoot a used handgun at their range IF i purchase the round. That would be the MOST I would ever hope for. (This if I seem to be very serious about buying the gun) I try very hard not to abuse the privilege.
    This is a great point, if you're just going in and asking to finger "bang" everything and make them strip down 10 guns, i dont think thats being a "smart" buyer anyway and it will show...

now you get 2-3 guns down in mind and you are pretty set on 1 of the 3, i dont see that being a problem with a good shop.

(Allegheny County)

I'm assuming this is an internet sale? Most reputable FFL's will allow you to inspect the firearm and field strip it before purchase. Detials on how to field strip will varry from firearm to firearm.

Most reputable internet dealers will also inform you to do an inspection as after the transfer is done they will not take it back and you will have to go through the manufacture if you find a defect.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Monroe County)

First, let me say thanks to the replies. My questions are related to online purchases of a new pistol. How would my inspection be any different if I was at a dealer looking in a gun case? Would I be stuck with the pistol if it was an online purchase?

My questions are a result of reading threads where purchases were made, once at home, defects/imperfections/blemishes were discovered prior to firing the pistol.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MySelf View Post
    First, let me say thanks to the replies. My questions are related to online purchases of a new pistol. How would my inspection be any different if I was at a dealer looking in a gun case? Would I be stuck with the pistol if it was an online purchase?

My questions are a result of reading threads where purchases were made, once at home, defects/imperfections/blemishes were discovered prior to firing the pistol.
    Most allow you to inspect the firearm first and if you refuse and have it sent back youre not stuck with it...but check the companies policies you're buying from

like buds, you can refuse to take it and not be out your money just your time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast