Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Who Carries a Ruger LC9

Like to know your thoughts on the Ruger LC9!
    I will fear no man or beast, because my 45 is on my side, at least!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Who Carries a Ruger LC9

*NOTE* I have since reversed my below opinion about the LC9 assuming you are purchasing the LC9s or LC9s Pro model. Buying the LC9 in a state that does not require the internal lock I sill believe is supporting anti-2a legislation.

The LC9 is a abomination of nanny state feel good "safety features". As soon as I first read the tech specs I immateriality took it off my list of possible purchases in the single stack compact 9mm category.

Top of the list is the internal lock mechanism. This "feature" only exists on any firearm because of anti-2a nanny state legislation. Anyone responsible enough to secure their firearm would have already done so with a external lock or a gun cabinet/safe. Anyone who does not secure their firearms would not use this feature. The only thing this feature can possibly do is fail at the wrong moment and render your firearm useless.

It has a mechanical loaded chamber indicator. Another anti-2a nanny state feature. First off all firearms should be treated as loaded anyway. I don't need another mechanical complexity to tell me something I should already know. Now if you want to insure that your firearm is loaded a simple cut into the slide and/or breach can show you. Sans that a simple press check will answer your question.

Magazine disconnect. This feature has some merit basically that only comes down to a gun grab type situation where you can drop the mag and render the firearm useless during a struggle to maintain control of it. Good for those who carry a full size firearm openly. Not so useful for a firearm nobody should even know you have on you. Personally I see it as just another failure point.

Manual safety. You defiantly need one on a SAO only type firearm like the 1911 to safely carry with a chambered round. But on a DAO firearm that you carry in a quality holster it comes down to personal preference. My preference is not to have one on a DAO firearm.

Ruger does not make a model without ANY of the features so its automatically a non starter for me.

The Ruger does feel good in the hand and the trigger is adequate, although not as good as the Kahr pistols.

For about the same price and maybe cheaper now look at the Kahr CW9, very similar size, same capacity, Made in the USA and soon to be made in PA.

I have the Kahr and have been nothing but happy with it.
    Last edited by QuackXP; December 22nd, 2014 at 10:28 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

I like mine and have been using it as my edc for over 2 years. It's a good size that I feel comfortable carrying, and you can can choose to use the safety or not. The trigger is not the best and it is not as accurate at longer distances as xdsc 9mm but conceals a lot better. It feels more comfortable carrying than the xd9 which I value over long distance accuracy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I like mine and have been using it as my edc for over 2 years. It's a good size that I feel comfortable carrying, and you can can choose to use the safety or not. The trigger is not the best and it is not as accurate at longer distances as xdsc 9mm but conceals a lot better. It feels more comfortable carrying than the xd9 which I value over long distance accuracy.
    It's your choice until one if those safety features fails and you end up carrying around an expensive paper weight.

Someone I know had a spring break in his Bersa 380 that was part of the mag disconnect, rendered the firearm useless.

Now I know any machine can break but why add needless complexity just to appease an anti 2a agenda.
    Last edited by QuackXP; January 30th, 2014 at 03:14 PM.

(Allegheny County)

As stated, waaaay to many safety mechanisms. Felt extremely good in my hand, but I wasn't a fan of the DAO. Sold it to a buddy who likes it a lot, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

(Bucks County)

I know I'll catch hell for this from all the haters out there 😜 but also take a look at the Kel-Tec PF9 too. The LC9 is pretty much a rip off of it, just with added gay safety features. The overall finish may not be as nice but that's not what I bought it for. Plus it's about $100 cheaper than the Ruger. Kel-Tec's customer service is also about the best in the business. They stand behind their products like very few companies do today.

Mine has been 100% reliable. It has never had a FTFeed, fire, eject or a hiccup of any kind. It's not a match range pistol to put 1000's of rounds through, it's purely a self defense weapon to be used at close range. It is surprisingly accurate for what it is, but nothing compared to the old lady's P32. That thing defies the laws of physics. It is a no shit tack driver. I even have to say WTF?!? when I shoot it.

Also the long pull double action only triggers aren't for everyone. They do take some getting used to.

(Northampton County)

Works good as a backup in a pocket holster with the safety off when I oc my glock. That is almost all of the time.

(Delaware County)

I've had one for a few years and it's OK. It was my EDC for a short time, but now its mainly used as a pocket carry gun occasionally in the summer.

The trigger is average at best. Very long and the reset is long...I don't like DOA, so I didn't expect to like it.

Manual safety. I've never used it and wish it wasn't there.

Magazine disconnect. I removed this because I hate this feature.

LCI. It caused issues during break in, but after around 300 rounds it's been perfect. I don't like this feature, but it hasn't hurt anything.

[QUOTE=QuackXP;2632160]It's your choice until one if those safety features fails and you end up carrying around an expensive paper weight.
    We have been carrying an LC9 for summer CC. I have no issue with the LCI as it is reassuring to feel for it rather than crack the slide. If you can strip your gun for a through cleaning you can fix the other safeties. As to worrying about safety parts breaking it has never happened to me in any of my game guns. Recoil and hammer springs are most likely to turn it into a club followed by firing pins, extractors and ejectors.

All of the above was free advice and worth every penny you paid for it.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Allegheny County)

In addition to the technical side of the safety. Refusing to purchase a firearm with the internal lock I am also sending a message to the firearms companies that I will not buy their products that contain anti 2a legislated features if I live in a free state that does not require them. I was more than happy to let Ruger know they lost a sale after I purchased my Kahr.

I plan to do the same with Springfield after I purchase another 1911 that does not have the anti 2a internal lock.

I feel that purchasing such firearm is in some way supporting anti 2a legislation.

To me its more than just technical there is a principal involved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast