Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Rep. Evans vows new effort to revise gun laws

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/n...a/16431356.htm

With one eye on the mayoral race in Philadelphia and another on the new Democratic majority in Harrisburg, State Rep. Dwight Evans yesterday vowed to reintroduce the package of gun-control measures that the GOP-run General Assembly batted down before the elections last fall.

The package includes measures that would ban assault weapons, limit handgun purchases to one a month, and allow Philadelphia to establish its own gun rules. Supporters say such laws would hamper gun-smugglers and violent criminals without stepping on the rights of hunters.
    Contact your legislators and make sure they know how you feel about this.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Centre County)

Default Re: Rep. Evans vows new effort to revise gun laws

Writing a email to my Legislator right now...

EDIT: Message sent...
    Last edited by Agent Ronin; January 17th, 2007 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Allegheny County)

Sen. Orie,

First of all, congratulations and welcome back!

Second, I was wondering where you stood on Gov Rendell's proposal to provide health insurance to all PA citizens? Initially, I'm against it as I don't see how the government should be responsible for this. I will be researching this further, but if you see how this proposal would follow the PA consititution, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Third, I wanted to urge you to oppose any bills that seek to limit my rights as a law-abiding gun owner. Rep Evans from Philadelphia announced that he will be submitting several bills that will limit my rights significantly. Bills such as an assault weapons ban, a 1-gun-a-month limit, requirements on how/where I store my firearms, and a legally required time limit to report any stolen firearms. None of these will have any significant effect on crime in Pennsylvania and will only make it harder for honest citizens to excersie their rights. These may make it to the Senate and other similar bills may be introduced as well. Please keep us in mind if they come up for a vote.

(Berks County)

This to my representative:

Rep. Kessler;
    It has recently come to my attention that Rep. Dwight Evans of Philadelphia intends to propose legislation that would allow Philadelphia to have their own laws regarding firearms and firearms ownership, would enact an "Assault Weapons Ban", and would enact a one handgun per month limit. Pennsylvania has a preemption law on the books that would need to be rescinded to allow Philadelphia to have separate laws from the rest of the state. Nation wide statistics prove that none of the legislation that is being proposed has been shown to have any type of affect on crime and or the criminal element. Criminals by definition will break the laws that most citizens will obey thereby making new laws moot.
    I would request that you stand by Section 21 of the Pennsylvania Constitution and the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution and vote against any such proposed legislation.
    Thank you for taking my thoughts into consideration.
    Last edited by billamj; January 18th, 2007 at 11:00 AM.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA