Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Caliber change

(Lawrence County)

Default Caliber change

I have a Remington 760 in 30.06 and was wondering what caliber could I change it to? The bolt should readily accept a case like the 30.06 so I'm thinking it should work for a .308 or .243 Win., which being a .243 Win. is what I'd really like... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

Default Re: Caliber change

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    I have a Remington 760 in 30.06 and was wondering what caliber could I change it to? The bolt should readily accept a case like the 30.06 so I'm thinking it should work for a .308 or .243 Win., which being a .243 Win. is what I'd really like... lol

-Chaz
    I had a Marlin XS-7 in .243. Great shooter, light, and I mean dead on accurate. For the cost of redoing your 06', might as well just buy a new or barely used .243. Just my opinion. Of course, you could always check out Remington's 6mm.

The 6mm Remington has a slight ballistic advantage over the much more popular .243 Winchester due to a slightly larger case capacity. The longer case neck of the 6mm Remington is considered desirable by handloaders. Noted Alabama deer hunter and marksman Creath Davis is a proponent of this caliber.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_mm_Remington

CL

The bolt face is going to be the same for a 30/06, 243,260,308...I agree with the above poster...it's not going to be cheap to rebarrel a Remington.

You are probably looking at $600-700 minimum, since you will need to order a barrel blank, then pay a gun smith to do the work.

(Chester County)

If you want to get flexibility, or less recoil out of the '06, then start reloading. It is one of the most versatile caliber out there.

(Delaware County)

Reloading sounds like a win win situation. You will be able to tailor your loads and get a new hobby at the same time.

Short of that maybe you can trade or sell the gun and buy what you want.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Monroe County)

Yes, there are MANY caliber options for you, and he was close on price. I normaly get close to $600 to rebarrel a remington, it depends on what options you choose. If you would like to talk feel free to call me 570-242-9044
    manharts gunsmithing/machine shop/dirt bike repair

(Lawrence County)

A typical bolt gun rebarrel in our neck of the woods goes about $150. That's redoing the barrel you have. I don't know about the 760. I'd think it would be possible to set the barrel back and make it a .308. A new barrel is going to cost quite a bit more.

If it's going to cost over 3 bills (which I wager it will), I'd just go buy a new Savage.......

Lycangetsexpensivefastthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

A 760 barrel is not threaded to the action like a bolt gun. Also the bolt's lugs lock inside the barrel on a 760. It would be more cost effective to buy a used barrel and have it installed on your 760. There is no way possible to set the barrel back to rechamber.
    Last edited by ARShuter; February 1st, 2014 at 08:47 AM.

(Lawrence County)

It was my grandfather's, so selling it isn't going to happen... lol

I bought the wife a Rossi single shot .243 last year, just was thinking about sharing ammo. Recoil doesn't both me in the slightest. I wouldn't have a range day loaded up with 220's, but my 165's are fine. A magazine of the 220's tingle after a bit... lol

I saw a video on the takedown of a 760, a complete takedown, doesn't look difficult. Only thing I've ever done to it was taking out the trigger group to give it a good cleaning after a light strike once, but for a gun from 1956, it's to be expected...

Thanks for the advice everyone, I much appreciate it!

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...