Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Sig 1911 suggestions?

I found out recently that I can get any Sig Sauer product at a price that would make a dealer cry. Turns out my Uncle owns Dick's. KIDDING!! Similar offers for LWRC & S&W products also are also available, but I am focusing on a Sig 1911 pistol for now. Gotta say, 2014 is starting off really well so far!!

That is the GREAT news...the bad news is that current finances force me to narrow my choices down from the entire catalog to 1 pistol...for now.

This will be used for a nightstand/range toy application. I want a Commander sized slide, a rail for a light, and a threaded barrel if possible. Right now, the TACOPS Carry seems to fit the bill, unless there is another model that I am overlooking.

I just recently bought my first 1911 because I wanted to finally see what all the hype was about. It's a Ruger SR1911 Commander. I haven't put one round through it yet, so my 1911 knowledge consists of "yes, I have one."

ANY suggestions/insight would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MJH; January 27th, 2014 at 11:32 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Sig 1911 suggestions?

Do you need the threaded barrel? I like sigs 1911, and in a commander size, I prefer either the Scorpion or the carry scorpion TB ( if you need threaded ), or the carry nitron or RCS compact nitron if you don't. If you could find one, I'd love to own a Spartan carry (commander) ....I'm not big on the engraved letters, but I love that hand rubbed bronze finish.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Lawrence County)

cept' for the threaded barrel, the carry scorpion is pretty sexy.

They do make it in a threaded barrel version but Im not real into threaded barrels in anything but a .22LR.if your attaching a suppressor (different story if its for a flash hider or comp/brake). To me the the cost of a .45 can, cost of a tax stamp, and paperwork/wait time hassle, out weighs the advantages IMHO.

Also since its a nightstand/range gun, any reason not to go fullsize barrel?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    I found out recently that I can get any Sig Sauer product at a price that would make a dealer cry. Turns out my Uncle owns Dick's. KIDDING!! Similar offers for LWRC & S&W products also are also available, but I am focusing on a Sig 1911 pistol for now. Gotta say, 2014 is starting off really well so far!!

That is the GREAT news...the bad news is that current finances force me to narrow my choices down from the entire catalog to 1 pistol...for now.

This will be used for a nightstand/range toy application. I want a Commander sized slide, a rail for a light, and a threaded barrel if possible. Right now, the TACOPS Carry seems to fit the bill, unless there is another model that I am overlooking.

I just recently bought my first 1911 because I wanted to finally see what all the hype was about. It's a Ruger SR1911 Commander. I haven't put one round through it yet, so my 1911 knowledge consists of "yes, I have one."

ANY suggestions/insight would be helpful.

Thanks!
    If you got a commander go full size, I have three sig 1911s and they all shoot great out the box. I replace the triggers for looks but the trigger mechanism is pretty good. Not a big fan of the series 80. I love the stock n/s. Throw the mags away, they are junk. I'm partial to the scorpion w/rail or if you can get it the pow mia limited edition.

Another option if you can get a big sig discount is go for a p226 x-five or p227 equinox. I have 2 p227s and love them.

Here are pics of some of my sigs:
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by mike12_nguyen; January 27th, 2014 at 11:47 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    Do you need the threaded barrel? I like sigs 1911, and in a commander size, I prefer either the Scorpion or the carry scorpion TB ( if you need threaded ), or the carry nitron or RCS compact nitron if you don't. If you could find one, I'd love to own a Spartan carry (commander) ....I'm not big on the engraved letters, but I love that hand rubbed bronze finish.
    Don't need it, but would like it because eventually I want a 45 suppressor. Agreed on the Spartan engraving. I'll have the catalog again tomorrow morning and will check out those other models. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by waiting2burn View Post
    cept' for the threaded barrel, the carry scorpion is pretty sexy.

They do make it in a threaded barrel version but Im not real into threaded barrels in anything but a .22LR.if your attaching a suppressor (different story if its for a flash hider or comp/brake). To me the the cost of a .45 can, cost of a tax stamp, and paperwork/wait time hassle, out weighs the advantages IMHO.

Also since its a nightstand/range gun, any reason not to go fullsize barrel?
    I would want the threaded barrel for a suppressor at a (much) later date instead of having to spend another +/-$250 for a new Sig threaded barrel in the future. These 1yr door-to-door times are insane...but this could be the new "standard" wait w/o a trust. Only reason for the Commander size is because I liked the balance versus the full size, however it's not a deal breaker at all. Thanks.
    Last edited by MJH; January 28th, 2014 at 12:14 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike12_nguyen View Post
    If you got a commander go full size, I have three sig 1911s and they all shoot great out the box. I replace the triggers for looks but the trigger mechanism is pretty good. Not a big fan of the series 80. I love the stock n/s. Throw the mags away, they are junk. I'm partial to the scorpion w/rail or if you can get it the pow mia limited edition.

Another option if you can get a big sig discount is go for a p226 x-five or p227 equinox. I have 2 p227s and love them.
    Nice assortment you have there! I was going to mention no X series, just too much...and I likely couldn't appreciate the extras like some others would. I thought the 4 mags included with the TACOPS was a bonus, but I didn't realize there was an issue with their mags. What makes them junk?
    It will be coming direct from Sig, so the POW/MIA edition could be possible. It's not pictured in the latest catalog. Is it a current production, or has it been out for a while? Thanks.

ADDED: That limited edition would be a nice addition, but I wouldn't want to turn that into a range toy. I'll see if it's even an option because that would make a nice piece to buy and keep unused.
    Last edited by MJH; January 28th, 2014 at 12:20 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Nice assortment you have there! I was going to mention no X series, just too much...and I likely couldn't appreciate the extras like some others would. I thought the 4 mags included with the TACOPS was a bonus, but I didn't realize there was an issue with their mags. What makes them junk?
    It will be coming direct from Sig, so the POW/MIA edition could be possible. It's not pictured in the latest catalog. Is it a current production, or has it been out for a while? Thanks.
    The tacops is nice, that's the black one pictured. The sig mags are notorious for being bad. I've had a lot of sig1911 mags and close to 50% of them have a failure to lock the slide back on the last round. They look nice and the bottom base plate looks sweet but there is something wrong with the followers. I did also have the occasional FTF. I use wilson 47d mags on all my 1911s so it's not a big deal. Sig 1911s are great and I don't think you can beat all the features you get.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike12_nguyen View Post
    The tacops is nice, that's the black one pictured. The sig mags are notorious for being bad. I've had a lot of sig1911 mags and close to 50% of them have a failure to lock the slide back on the last round. They look nice and the bottom base plate looks sweet but there is something wrong with the followers. I did also have the occasional FTF. I use wilson 47d mags on all my 1911s so it's not a big deal. Sig 1911s are great and I don't think you can beat all the features you get.
    I thought the TACOPS had a rail?

(Allegheny County)

Sorry tacpac, the railed versions are nice but I never put a light on.
    Last edited by mike12_nguyen; January 28th, 2014 at 01:17 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

I bought a Tacops Carry about two months ago and love it. I put about 200 rounds through it and now it's my main carry gun for the rest of the winter. No issues at all. It's been a challenge to find holsters though. I have an Alien hybrid style iwb that is nice but I cannot find any affordable owb, let alone a light bearing one.

I highly recommend the Sig Tacops Carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast