Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Meeting with Representative Ron Marsico. UPDATE, 2/12/2014.

Hey there everyone,

At some unspecified time in the next 2 weeks (the date/time has already been set, I'd just prefer to keep it private), I will be meeting with Representative Ron Marsico to talk to him about the upcoming legislative session and what we as gun owners would like to see passed to make our lives easier, more fulfilling, and more free in the coming years. I think this meeting is very important because we may be in for another 8 years of the dark ages should Corbett get knocked in November, which looks like a very real possibility. Additionally, Representative Marsico holds a very important position in our legislature (Majority Chairman of the Judiciary Committee), so engaging in dialogue with him is very, very helpful to our cause. Hopefully the meeting will be productive and fruitful, and from my interactions with him in the past, I expect it to be exactly that.

Not only do I consider myself to be pretty in-tune with the gun community at large and here in Pennsylvania, but I've also got a pretty good relationship with Representative Marsico. That isn't to say we're personal friends or anything, but as a republican councilman (technically, Township Supervisor) in his district, I've spoken to him in the past, see him at annual Republican events, and have met with him a few times personally about personal and official business in my township. He knows who I am and at the very least recognizes my face, and I've never had a single bit of trouble with him. Personally, I really like him.

Now, to the point of this post. This meeting will not be an abject lobbying meeting, and no, you're not invited. This is a meeting I requested because I want to meet with him as one of his constituents and express my views, ideas, and desires for the upcoming year. This is my time, not yours. That said, it could be an important meeting that leads to more meetings, so I'd also like to see if you guys had anything that you'd like me to bring up. If you do or don't like this, feel free to schedule your own meetings with your own legislators, but with my and Rep. Marsico's positions and relationship, I'd also like to take some input from the community.

These will be the points that I will be bringing up, in order of importance:

1. Pre-emption amendments and clarification
      • Amend/clarify pre-emption to state that municipalities may not ban firearms from being carried on local property through trespassing signs and other loopholes (in response to the infamous "footnote 9").
      • Add knives/other weapons to pre-emption language (lookin' at you, Philadelphia knife ban); our castle/stand-your-ground laws don't specify any type of weapons, so I don't see why our pre-emption statute should.

2. ROS database destruction
      • Self-explanatory. It's a handgun registry, despite what the courts say. It needs to be abolished.

3. Ability to transport firearms without a LTCF.
      • The current law is arbitrary, does not provide for the public safety, and most of all, is easy to unknowingly go afoul of. This on top of the fact that it can result in a complete loss of gun rights for life.

4. Involuntary commitment expungement (Phil, could you help me out here?)
      • Specifically, since the State Trooper case gave us a big loss in this area thanks to some self-aggrandizing lawyers, I'd like to see what we can do to help stable and safe citizens get their rights back.

5. Semi-automatics for hunting
      • I find this to be unjustifiable in the year 2014. Many other states do it with no ill-effects, and ours would be no different. Could be a tough sell, though, due to how many Fudds still reside here in PA and would oppose it.

Those are the issues that are important to me as of this juncture. How about you guys? Like I said, the first meeting may lead to more, so please feel free to provide any insight you'd like or state any issues that are important to you.
    Last edited by DreadPirateMoyer; February 12th, 2014 at 04:20 PM.
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

Default Re: Meeting with Representative Ron Marsico. What topics would you want to talk about

If it were me, I'd be asking him why he's been sitting on pro-gun bills, basically preventing any movement on our side whatsoever. I'm not saying that with a wise-guy tone. I'm saying with a sincere, inquisitive tone.

"There's a long list of good bills. I don't get it. What's the problem Ron? Gun owners know that you are blocking our progress. Who above you is pushing this status-quo agenda. We expect action. We expect you to protect our rights Ron. Why have you shut us down?"

Let me know if he's still your friend after that....
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Meeting with Representative Ron Marsico. What topics would you want to talk about

Ultimate goal would be constitutional carry.

A couple of needed changes in the interim would be the complete repeal of the character clause and due process before a revocation is instated (require a court hearing first, rather than placing the burden on the licensee after the fact, within a very tiny window to file).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Cambria County)

Sounds good. You will have a lot to discuss in a small window of time. Better to approach a few things well than to water it down with a million issues.

Just reinforce the concept of liberty, it is the common thread between all the issues you presented, and all the issues I would suggest. Just paying lip service to the concept of liberty is not enough. There are very solid, very real, reasons that liberty was such a central concept to the founding of our nation. Recent polls on this site suggest that many (or most) of the contributing members are libertarian leaning, it would be nice to see the representatives represent that.

As for specific issues? Well... One that gets me is, why does no one try to change the legislation about transportation of a firearm without a LTCF? The law is confusing and could land an otherwise lawful citizen in a lot of trouble. It seems like something that could be changed without a lot of drama, and be a relatively quiet win for the 2A that legislators could use to earn a little rep.

Anyway, my .02, good for you having the meeting, and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    As for specific issues? Well... One that gets me is, why does no one try to change the legislation about transportation of a firearm without a LTCF? The law is confusing and could land an otherwise lawful citizen in a lot of trouble. It seems like something that could be changed without a lot of drama, and be a relatively quiet win for the 2A that legislators could use to earn a little rep.
    HB718 would fix the issue of transporting without an LTCF and would fix the part about not being able to stop anywhere between the two points. The bill has 61 sponsors and is stuck with.... Marsico.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Bucks County)

I like your list! Its a great one!

(Wayne County)

Hb357 ask for a vote.

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    HB718 would fix the issue of transporting without an LTCF and would fix the part about not being able to stop anywhere between the two points. The bill has 61 sponsors and is stuck with.... Marsico.
    I actually wanted to add this to my list when I first wrote it, but wasn't aware there was a bill on the table and wasn't well-versed in the issue. Could you tell me a bit more, link me to a thread, or elaborate? I intend to bring this up if I can get enough education on the subject. I understand we can't stop between two points (and have to carry ammo/guns in separate bags), but I'm not familiar with the language of the statute itself or HB718.

ETA: Nevermind, found it myself. I'll be bringing this up as well. http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ve-effort.html
    Last edited by DreadPirateMoyer; January 28th, 2014 at 02:50 AM.
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

Part of the problem with Ron Marsico is family alliance. Ed Marsico, the Dauphin Country DA and staunch opponent to Castle Doctrine, not to mention other family members employed in various state government positions and unfortunately, religious beliefs.

These all play a part, not to mention, political tit for tat.

CL

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Ultimate goal would be constitutional carry.

A couple of needed changes in the interim would be the complete repeal of the character clause and due process before a revocation is instated (require a court hearing first, rather than placing the burden on the licensee after the fact, within a very tiny window to file).

Constitutional Carry would be my goal as well.

And from what CL posted above....family probably plays a part in the politics.

Ron and Ed are cousins.
    Ed's younger brother AJ is / was a lobbyist.

My serious questions to him would be.... when are you retiring?

30 plus years as a state rep, and always manages to get his sponsored bills through the judiciary committee....like his wiretapping update bill - HB 2400 from 2011/2012.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast