Hi guys,

I'm writing to see if anyone can offer (accurate) advice on transferring firearms to a family member upon the death of the owner. The situation:

My girlfriend's grandfather has just passed away. He is a resident of Pennsylvania. He has a number (uninventoried) of firearms including rifles, pistols and shotguns. I do not know whether he has any registered NFA items. I am more familiar with the NFA requirements for transfer upon death; what I don't know is whether there are PA-specific issues. In particular I am interested in info on:

Legal status of all the firearms (my understanding is that they are now the legal property of his wife -- are there any exceptions?)

Are there any specific actions to be taken regarding transfer of any handguns to his wife? I think rifles/shotguns are pretty straightforward.

In addition, several of his children reside out of state. Does Federal law/regulations require transfers to take place through licensed dealers to any of his (otherwise legally unencumbered) children?

Lastly, he has a number of firearms located at a second home in another state. Are there any special requirements for transporting them back to PA? I can't imagine his wife driving to Maine and back across the MA, NY, etc. state lines with a car full of guns. Can another family member lawfully transport these firearms into PA?

Sorry for the rather broad question; while I've given lots of thought to NFA transfers, I'm not familiar enough with PA's laws regarding transfer between family members of "normal" firearms. The main reason I ask is that my girlfriend's mother is concerned because of a number of recent media stories in the Philadelphia area exhorting people who receive firearms from a deceased relative to "register" them properly (I know this is BS, but the media reports focus on the possibilty of subsequent theft, usage in a crime, and potential liability of the transferee down the road).

Also, one NFA question I'm not 100% sure on: If the deceased is survived by his wife, do any registered NFA firearms have to be transfered to her or does the registration to him stand for his wife? I know that transfers to other family members have to be registered but I'm not 100% sure on transfers to a spouse.

Thanks! any information will be greatly appreciated. I would be happy to compile any (verifiable) information into a general guide for death related family transfers to be posted on PAFOA.org.

Thanks again.