Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new revolver

(Allegheny County)

Talking new revolver

does anybody make a new pistol for the old 38 s&w. Looking on the net, I get confused about all the 38 cartrages out there.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: new revolver

I'm not aware or anyone making a new .38 S&W. If you mean .38 S&W special then sure there's plenty of new revolvers out there chambered for it.

(Montgomery County)

I suspect the only "new" revolvers in this calibre were the run of Ruger's a few years ago for the Indian Gov't and reports of an occasional Indian Webley Mk IV, though that could be Pakistani, as I cannot remember the correct nationality of the group that brought Webley and Scott's machinery a few years ago. Let us just say "Indian Sub-continent". Dave_n

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    does anybody make a new pistol for the old 38 s&w. Looking on the net, I get confused about all the 38 cartrages out there.
    Our main distributor database shows 1,832 handguns with zero found for the 38 S&W caliber, so I would guess the answer is no from the major manufacturers. It did find 78 handguns in 38 Special and 9 handguns with 38 Super.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Well technically no, but any revolver chambered for 357 mag or 38 special will fire 38 S&W with no issues. They are not backward compatible, IE revolvers chambered in 38 special will not fire 357, and one chambered in 38 S&W will not fire 357 or 38 special.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Well technically no, but any revolver chambered for 357 mag or 38 special will fire 38 S&W with no issues. They are not backward compatible, IE revolvers chambered in 38 special will not fire 357, and one chambered in 38 S&W will not fire 357 or 38 special.
    38S&W case will not fit in to a 38S&W-Special chamber. I guess you could ream out the cylinders of a 38S&W-Special or a 357S&W-Magnum to take the old cartridge, but what would be the point. The names and interchangeability of ammo can be confusing, more so with the old stuff........
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Jefferson County)

Most .38spl/.357mag guns will not chamber a .38S&W, some will though. They aren't the same caliber. .357" versus .361" for bullet diameter. Case diameters have a similar difference.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

.38 s&w is not the same bullet diameter as .38 special or .357 mag. I wouldn't try this personally. The 38 special and .357 mag were developed from the .38 long colt not the s&w cartridge.

.38 S&W = .361 bullet diameter
    .38 Special/.357 mag = .357 bullet diameter

It is a low pressure round so I doubt it would cause a catastrophic failure in a modern gun, but I wouldn't try it personally.

Edit: Haha, Looks like Night beat me to it. I really need to learn how to type faster.

(York County)

google "indian women's anti-rape revolver" and you will see a recently announced "new" revolver that is basically on an old webley design chambered for 38 S&W and retails for the equivalent of $2000 USD in india.

(York County)

The .38 S&W is dimensionally the same as a 9mm parabellum with a rim added. Check a Lyman reloading manual or Frank Barnes "Cartridges of the World" if you don't believe me.

Major George Nonte's book "Cartridge Conversions" said you can use 9mm Parabellum dies to reload it. Yes, I have and it works fine for me.

Another oddity about the round is that is actually doesn't always use a .361 diameter bore. If you own a S&W Victory model (aka Model 11) made in the Commonwealth .38/200 chambering (That's what the Brits called the .38 S&W) you'll find they are the same old .358 diameter bore as a .38 Special has.

This is a cartridge with a working load in the 12-14K CPU pressure range, hardly a hot rod by anyone's standard. In a strongly made design it can produce much better results than the factory specs give for this round. I have loaded mine to standard .38 Special ballistics. I won't share data of my loads on-line, but you can do your own research and load accordingly.

Anyway, the others who have said this already but I'll repeat it; you cannot put a .38 S&W in a .38 Special chamber. The body of the .38 S&W is wider at the base so it will not chamber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast