Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default i have found my new EDC

i've carried a glock 27 for at least 5 years. it conceals easily in winter/ hoodie weather but summer it is a little tough due to the width so i usually carried in a pocket holster with dickies shorts or camo cargo shorts.

this year i decided that i wanted to carry more often and even to work but the glock 27 in a pocket holster got to be pretty heavy pretty fast during an 8-10 hour shift of standing and walking so i started looking for something a little smaller.

i started hitting up local gun shops and checking out different pistols since i haven't been in the market for a few years. i knew i did not like the snap of the LCP or the trigger pull since i'd fired one when they were first released. a friend bought a kel tec for under $300 so i considered going that route until firing it for myself and found the trigger awful and the gun wouldn't chamber by using the slide stop on a full mag.

i checked out the smith bodyguard and springfield xds at the shop and they didn't do much for me and then i started checking out the sig p938 when i decided this would fill my void. 9mm single stack, 1911 style which im familiar with and the trigger was amazing but it would take a while for me to save over $700.

a few days later i was checking the revolver section and i have never shot smith's well without hogue grips due to the cylinder latch always smacking my thumb during recoil. rugers grip frames have also never felt right in my hands and the sp101 in .357 i shot was brutal.

i then came across a used 1953 colt cobra in .38 special. it is an aluminum framed 6 shot D framed revolver. i am a colt revolver lover, i currently own a python and shoot it very well due to the trigger pull and the cobra's action closely resembled it. the grips that came with it were some pachmayr full sized rubber which were great on the range but not ideal for CCW so i decided the give the barami hip grip and try and the firearm disappears under just a t shirt tucked in the belt or in a pocket holster. it is very comfortable and lightweight but it's definitely gonna take some getting used to carrying without a holster in the waistband so i'll most likely get an IWB holster and only do the barami thing for quick trips to the store etc.

firing with the barami was a whole different gun than with the rubber pach's so i have a pachmayr grip adapter being delivered tomorrow since i cant find any tyler t grips for sale and i don't have a printer to print their order form.

i will keep and continue the glock 27 when i can but the cobra fills the gap when the 27 is too bulky.
    Last edited by smoke-wagon; January 26th, 2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: :
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: i have found my new EDC

Congrats on the pickup, although I traded a small revolver in favor of the LCP.

The newest version of the LCP is a bit better than the first ones that came out. With the 7 round mag and the Hogue grip, I find that it allows my hands a full grip and it becomes very shootable for what it is. The sights are also taller than they were on release. I wouldn't call it a pleasure to shoot, but it's no problem to rip through a few boxes of ammo in one outing.

Mine's a constant companion. Hard to beat 7+1 capacity with a quick reload possible in something so small and light.