Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discharge Laws

Coatesville (unfortunately), Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

Default Discharge Laws

Hello everyone, just moved to PA from NC unfortunately to Coatesville pretty urban, thuglets all that form of treachery. Me and my sons love to shoot, in NC we would normally just head out the backyard. My buddy was telling me about discharge laws up here and I was researching if there is any out here in Coatesville, surprisingly I can't find one. Can anyone enlighten me on such law or laws and the whereabouts of some good outdoor ranges or public land that allows "discharge"

Thanks
    Lf5

Default Re: Discharge Laws

The Commonwealth of PA does not have discharge laws. Nor do most counties. The discharge laws are passed and enforced by your local, towns, villages, Boroughs, and the biggie, Townships.

Whatever political entity you live in is where you need to be checking. Might or might not be online. For heaven's sake, do not ask a cop, city, town, or township employee. Just ask for a copy, which you more than likely have to pay for, or ask for them online.

Hope this helps and welcome to my home state.

CL

PS. Where in NC did you reside?

(Chester County)

Welcome to the neighborhood.

I am just a few miles west in Wagontown. (take 82 to 340 and go west)

I can confirm the rules are very local, ie - set by each township.

I have never looked into Coatesville proper, but most of the outlying rural townships tend to go something like: dawn to dusk, at least 150 yards from house or structure, adequate stop in the direction of shooting.

The nearest public place I am aware of is French Creek park, but even there you need a current PA hunting license or you can get a special range pass without getting a hunting license. Just watch out at that place because it has a reputation for being full of idiots with little respect for gun safety.

There are a ton of gun clubs around, so start to look at those. They range from just an outdoor range and a locked gate you get a pass-code for, to the very involved with indoor moving target ranges and range officers on duty.

Here is a link to the places a good local gun shop has on their website:

http://www.gordonssportssupply.com/ranges-clubs/

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    The Commonwealth of PA does not have discharge laws. Nor do most counties. The discharge laws are passed and enforced by your local, towns, villages, Boroughs, and the biggie, Townships.

Whatever political entity you live in is where you need to be checking. Might or might not be online. For heaven's sake, do not ask a cop, city, town, or township employee. Just ask for a copy, which you more than likely have to pay for, or ask for them online.

Hope this helps and welcome to my home state.

CL

PS. Where in NC did you reside?
    King,about 15 mins north of Winston-Salem open carry friendly, big boom friendly

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sshuker View Post
    Welcome to the neighborhood.

I am just a few miles west in Wagontown. (take 82 to 340 and go west)

I can confirm the rules are very local, ie - set by each township.

I have never looked into Coatesville proper, but most of the outlying rural townships tend to go something like: dawn to dusk, at least 150 yards from house or structure, adequate stop in the direction of shooting.

The nearest public place I am aware of is French Creek park, but even there you need a current PA hunting license or you can get a special range pass without getting a hunting license. Just watch out at that place because it has a reputation for being full of idiots with little respect for gun safety.

There are a ton of gun clubs around, so start to look at those. They range from just an outdoor range and a locked gate you get a pass-code for, to the very involved with indoor moving target ranges and range officers on duty.

Here is a link to the places a good local gun shop has on their website:

http://www.gordonssportssupply.com/ranges-clubs/
    Being close to this place I can imagine its rife of stupidity im actually somewhat embarrassed to say I live here and for once in my life I actually feel the "self defense" side of firearm ownership versus "target shooting" side. Thanks for the info!

(Chester County)

Why did you end up in Coatesville? There are many wonderful communities here in Chester County, many that are very rural. Maybe you've already done this, but take a drive, and look for nicer areas, and move. There is no reason to stay in Coatesville.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Why did you end up in Coatesville? There are many wonderful communities here in Chester County, many that are very rural. Maybe you've already done this, but take a drive, and look for nicer areas, and move. There is no reason to stay in Coatesville.
    Needed to get up here short notice wife's job relocated her up here and we have 4 kids needed to get settled before kids started school. It's not that bad so far I'm just used to walking outside and seeing nature not a bunch of lawn chairs guarding parking spots haha. We're definitely going to be looking for something a little bit more rural after this lease is up.

(Montgomery County)

are you actually in the city of Coatesville, or in a surrounding rural area? How dense are the buildings?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by libertyfor500 View Post
    ...My buddy was telling me about discharge laws up here...
    Until a member pipes in - take a look at Adopted by the Council of the City of Coatesville, PA - Chapter 112. FIREARMS, WEAPONS AND FIREWORKS...
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

(Bucks County)

You ever find any info, also within city limits or the rural area? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast