Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Clinton launches 2008 White House bid

Hitlery Clinton has done it.

NEW YORK - Democratic Sen.
    Hillary Rodham Clinton embarked on a widely anticipated campaign for the White House on Saturday, a former first lady intent on becoming the first female president. "I'm in and I'm in to win," she said on her Web site.

Clinton's announcement, days after Sen. Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record) shook up the contest race with his bid to become the first black president, establishes the most diverse political field ever.

Clinton is considered the front-runner, with Obama and 2004 vice presidential nominee
    John Edwards top contenders. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who would be the first Hispanic president, intends to announce his plans on Sunday.

"You know after six years of
    George Bush, it is time to renew the promise of America," Clinton says in a videotaped message in which she invites voters to begin a dialogue with her on the major issues — health care,
    Social Security and Medicare, and the war in
    Iraq.

"I'm not just starting a campaign, though, I'm beginning a conversation with you, with America," she said. "Let's talk. Let's chat. The conversation in Washington has been just a little one-sided lately, don't you think?"

Clinton, who was re-elected to a second term last November, said she will spend the next two years "doing everything in my power to limit the damage George W. Bush can do. But only a new president will be able to undo Bush's mistakes and restore our hope and optimism."

In a defiant statement — and a nod to questions about her electability — Clinton said: "I have never been afraid to stand up for what I believe in or to face down the Republican machine. After nearly $70 million spent against my campaigns in New York and two landslide wins, I can say I know how Washington Republicans think, how they operate, and how to beat them."

With millions in the bank, a vast network of supporters and top status in nearly every poll of Democratic contenders, Clinton is undertaking the most viable effort by a female candidate to capture the White House.

She is the first presidential spouse to pursue the office; her husband, Bill, served two terms in the White House from 1993-2001.

The announcement was the latest step in a remarkable political and personal journey for the 59-year-old Clinton — from Arkansas lawyer to first lady to New York senator to front-runner for the Democratic nomination.

A polarizing figure since she burst onto the national scene during her husband's first presidential campaign, Clinton engenders strong opinions among voters, who either revere or revile her but rarely are ambivalent.

She often is compared to her husband and found lacking in his natural charisma. Others have criticized her for being overly cautious and calculating when so many voters say they crave authenticity.

Many Democrats, eager to reclaim the White House after eight years of
    President Bush, fret that she carries too much baggage from her husband's scandal-plagued presidency to win a general election. Among many voters, she is best known for her disastrous attempt in 1993 to overhaul the nation's health care system and for standing by her husband after his marital infidelity.

Clinton's allies counter by citing her strengths — intelligence, depth of experience, work ethic and immense command of policy detail. Advisers argue those skills, plus her popularity among women and younger voters, position her strongly as both a primary and general election candidate.

In her first run for the Senate from New York in 2000 — a state where she had never lived and where she was branded a carpetbagger by many — Clinton won a landslide victory. Through dogged campaigning — including a "listening tour" of the state's 62 counties — Clinton was able to convince voters even in the conservative upstate region that she would represent them effectively in Washington.

Clinton's 2002 vote authorizing military force in Iraq has become a significant political challenge. It angered activists who want her to repudiate her vote and aggressively seek to block Bush's proposed troop increase.

She has toughened her criticism of the conduct of the war and Bush's handling of the conflict, and she recently called for capping troop levels in Iraq at around 140,000. She has rejected calls from liberal groups and Edwards to cut off funds for Bush's planned increase in U.S. troops.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Clinton launches 2008 White House bid

Does anyone think she really has a chance? She's no Bill Clinton, while he was a reprobate and liberal, he was a smoothie. She doesnt have any of that charm at all.

Plus the fact that I think there's still a decnt amount of the population that will not vote a woman or minority into the Presidency just because they're prejudiced. I have a feeling there's people out there who could care less what guy gets voted into office - "but there's no way I'm gonna let some woman run this country!"

What do you guys think?

(Berks County)

I hope and pray she doesn't get elected. Another (D) that's way too far to the left. Although, I have to admit that most (D) are too far to the left for my taste, especially when it comes to the RKBA.

A lot of people, right or wrong, saw Bill Clinton's term as the "good years". My concern is that those people are going to look back, get nostalgic, and think she's going to "bring back the magic". IMHO, those years weren't as good as most people remember, and in addition she has NONE of the charisma of her husband.

Lastly, what has she done as Senator of NY? Someone looking at the White House has to prove to the entire country that their past track record served to benefit their constituency. AFAIK she hasn't done much of anything.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

she'll never win (at least not in 2008), too much baggage to face in a campaign, but God help us all if she does.

She only needs to convince 270 people that she's fit for the job, and she will be president irrespective of what the remainder of the US thinks. Most of the time the vote along party lines.

Electoral college

Article 2, section 1 of US Constitution

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah.. the electoral college is a funny thing..

anybody remember last year, the People s Replubik of Kalifornia passed a law that said their electoral college must give their votes to the person who has the majority accross the nation, regardless of who Kalifornians actually vote for.

If these shenanigans werent bad enough, there is the whole deal with the electronic machines, which I personally cant believe why people havent gone with their torches and pitchforks to demand a paper trail, or other accurate way of making sure the election is not rigged.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Tioga County)

As she has been putting for a great deal of effort to make herself look like a moderate. Might I suggest a new characture for her. a chameleon with her face morphed on it. Perhaps someone on here that has abilities in that line can come up with something and spread it around.

What does it matter anymore. Chances of a Democrat in '08 are VERY LIKELY. The polls favor Democrats for president 2-1 right now. As far as gun rights, Hillary and Obama would be terrible for us. Better start stockpiling guns, magazines, and AMMO.

The Republicans will have to do something incredible like cure cancer to get out of this rut. Republicans have far more baggage than Democrats unless the Iraq War makes a u-turn before 2008. Guiliani has no chance because of his dozen past marriages. McCain's stance on the war won't help him with Independents or Democrats.

I know I sound like the alarmist, but i'm mad. I just recently got into guns like last year and now I feel like the fun is over.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by greyhouse View Post
    I know I sound like the alarmist, but i'm mad. I just recently got into guns like last year and now I feel like the fun is over.
    Completely sympathize with you. I just moved to PA about a year ago and learned about my rights to carry concealed and what not then. I got my LTC about a year ago, bought my first handgun about 6 months ago, and I'm just getting started. Now, when it seemed like our rights were a little more secure, the last election and the upcoming one is turning everything upside down.

Looks like I need to get that .45, shotgun, and AR before the end of '08
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Default [Poll] Hillary's in the lead.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sen. Hillary Clinton holds a large early lead over other top candidates in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, said a national poll reported on Sunday in The Washington Post.

New York's Clinton was the favorite of 41 percent of Democrats polled, more than double the 17-percent, second-place rating scored by Illinois Sen. Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record), the Post said.
    Former Sen. John Edwards, the 2004 vice presidential nominee, placed third at 11 percent, with former Vice President Al Gore at 10 percent. Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, the 2004 presidential nominee, came in at 8 percent.
    The poll was taken before Clinton announced her candidacy on Saturday. Obama entered the race on Tuesday and Edwards jumped in last month.

Article source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast