Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Disappointment with S&W - Epilogue and Resolution

So I hear a knock at my front door and my dogs go ballistic. I check who it is and find the FedEx driver standing on my front porch with a package from S&W for me. I sign for it and immediately open it.

My pistol case is dirty, but intact so no big deal. I open the case and find my pistol wrapped in brown paper, the mags I sent it in with, and some paperwork. I strip down the pistol and inspect it. It's the same striker assembly I sent it in with, and it doesn't look like they swapped out the sear either. I take a q-tip and run it over the surfaces. There's a little powder residue and very little (almost no) oil, so it seems to have been fired and given a once over.

I check the paperwork and am left bewildered. My name is on it, and the shipping slip has my serial number, but the two page long work order is for building a custom 1911.

So from Oct 4, 2013 to Jan 20, 2014 nothing was done but maybe a test fire. S&W forgot about paperwork and phone calls, mixed up paperwork, and barely touched the gun. Not even a note in response to emails, phone calls, and a written letter. Classy.

And somewhere, someone will get a 1911 with M&P paperwork and say "whiskey tango foxtrot?"

At least I got my pistol back. Now to fix it and get it running like it used to, then trade it for an XDm.
    Last edited by ShaulWolf; February 2nd, 2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Title change

(York County)

Default Re: Disappointment with S&W - Epilogue

Maybe the mixed up paperwork is a sign.....the universe telling you to lose the M&P and get yourself a 1911. ( or another 1911 if you already possess one or more ;-)
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Lawrence County)

If I'm going to get anything like a 1911, it'll be an STI 2011 Eagle chambered I. .40 S&W. Double the capacity, same caliber that I already have, and takes well to competition and can be carried daily. That's not to say a Springfield 1911 isn't tempting, but I want a double stacked.

I'm sure my wife will have a joke about that somewhere...

(York County)

No arguments from me. I'd love to have an STI 2011. ( or a Detonics MTX )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Berks County)

I've been following these threads as a die hard S&W fan. I've sent several guns back (older revolvers) and got great service. Your experience is unacceptable, I'm really shocked and don't blame you for heading over to Springfield.

If this were to ever happen to me, I'm sure I'd be in the same boat. Good luck!

(Lawrence County)

So I've got the work order they sent back in a PDF... but PAFOA won't let me attach the file.

On another note, does anyone know where I would send a letter to S&W's CEO? I know it's James Debney, but I'm not sure where to address it to.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaulWolf View Post
    If I'm going to get anything like a 1911, it'll be an STI 2011 Eagle chambered I. .40 S&W. Double the capacity, same caliber that I already have, and takes well to competition and can be carried daily. That's not to say a Springfield 1911 isn't tempting, but I want a double stacked.

I'm sure my wife will have a joke about that somewhere...
    I have a Springfield SS 1911, so my opinion is obviously biased. However, I believe getting a polymer framed, double stack "1911" in a caliber other than .45 ACP is like driving a Ridgeline or an Avalanche and telling your friends how cool your pick-up is.

(Berks County)

(Lawrence County)

I love Springfield's 1911's. Personally I want to get a Springfield Loaded 1911, but I'll hold off on that until I get an STI 2011 since I won't have to load for another caliber, it'll still make majors in USPSA, and I won't be giving up on ammo capacity.

I've been asked if I've test fired the pistol yet, and the answer is still no. I work until 7:00pm, which makes going to open shoots on Thursdays difficult at best. I wanted to go this weekend, but the weather doesn't seem to want to cooperate. I'll post the results of the test fire as soon as it's completed, but I don't think there'll be anything new. The striker assembly is still the same 1st generation one that my gun came with. S&W changed the design to reinforce the striker a couple years ago and has been using the 2nd generation design in its M&P's. The striker itself the guide, and spring cups have been changed, and as far as I can tell the only part that's the same with the new striker is the spring. Since I already put in a new factory striker spring, changing that out wouldn't do anything new, and it wouldn't make any sense to use parts of the old striker design when they're no longer used in production.

I've got a letter to Mr. Debney drafted and will run it by a couple people before posting the content here and sending it out.
    Last edited by ShaulWolf; January 25th, 2014 at 06:08 PM.

(Allegheny County)

It sounds like they not only dropped the ball, but never bothered to pick it back up.

ETA: If you want people to know about this you need to spell out "Smith and Wesson" and use words like "problem", "return", and "unhappy", so that it comes up in Google searches.
    Last edited by Emptymag; January 25th, 2014 at 06:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast