Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Speeding Ticket Issues

My friend just got a speeding ticket for going 29mph over the speed limit. He knows he wasn't going that fast over the speed limit. When the state trooper pulled him over and told him that he was, my friend requested to show him the radar gun. The trooper refused. Gave multiple excuses, ranging from the number erases instantly to he doesnt have to show it to my friend. PA law i believe states that going 30mph over the speed limit is an automatic license suspension, convieniantly, the officer said my friend was going 29mph. Which leads me to assume if my friend was going 30mph the officer would have been forced by procedure to show the speeder the radar gun. That being said, could my friend use this mess up of procedure to get out of the ticket?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Speeding Ticket Issues

yes he can if the leo refused to show him the readout than he should be able to get out of it

(Monroe County)

Where was your friend nailed?

A few hours ago I was traveling up RT 115 in Effort with two cars ahead of me and I saw a state trooper on the side street, which was no big deal to me since I was just wandering up the road in no hurry.

After they went by the side street, I saw the trooper roll down to the main road and a that point he pointed the radar gun at me, which would have removed the previous drivers speed.

Well, he pulled out and went up the road and pulled over one of them and I am sure that they received a ticket. I am still not sure why he pulled over the driver that he did since they were both travelin at the same speed! It must be a trooper thing!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Where was your friend nailed?

A few hours ago I was traveling up RT 115 in Effort with two cars ahead of me and I saw a state trooper on the side street, which was no big deal to me since I was just wandering up the road in no hurry.

After they went by the side street, I saw the trooper roll down to the main road and a that point he pointed the radar gun at me, which would have removed the previous drivers speed.

Well, he pulled out and went up the road and pulled over one of them and I am sure that they received a ticket. I am still not sure why he pulled over the driver that he did since they were both travelin at the same speed! It must be a trooper thing!
    Ever go fishing? Ever catch ALL the fish?

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    PA law i believe states that going 30mph over the speed limit is an automatic license suspension,
    Actually, I think it's 31 MPH over that you lose your license for 15 days. After having to take a day off work and attend a hearing for the judge to tell you you're losing your license for 15 days. Not personal experience, but someone I know well.

(Delaware County)

From the PennDot web site:

http://www.dot4.state.pa.us/pdotform...rms/dl-71p.pdf

Excessive Speeding

When a driver is convicted for speeding 31 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit, the driver will have to attend a Departmental hearing. The driver will receive a written notice of the specific time and location of the required hearing. The hearing examiner will review the driving record. Upon the Department's review of the hearing file, one or both of the following will be initiated:

1. 15 Day License Suspension
    2. Special On-Road Driver's Examination

If a 15 day suspension is initiated, the driving record will show 5 points upon restoration. No points are removed if a special driver's examination is initiated and completed.

Failure to attend this Departmental hearing will result in a 60 day license suspension.
    At a minimum your friend will get 5 points if you friend doesn't get it reduced in court. The above web site also goes into the point system.

Bill

(Monroe County)

Nope, they can as a courtesy show you but it`s not required. If it is in a remote location, overpass or a big chase car set up or even the helicopter they don`t show you and the other roadside rumor people believe is the guy with the unit has to do the writing. Not in Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by 338winmag View Post
    yes he can if the leo refused to show him the readout than he should be able to get out of it
    do you have a case law or where in PA Law this is stated? I don't believe that it is true, but I have been wrong before.

(Luzerne County)

The LEO does NOT have to show you the speed on the device used to monitor your speed.

(Venango County)

Steve...just playing devil's advocate here.....what stops a LEO from just making crap us as they go along?

Lets just say...the next red car gets a speeding ticket?

just wondering.....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast